cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

roydene60
Level 3

I followed the instructions posted at https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH231698.html. I have successfully upgraded to SP3. However when I try to follow the instructions to apply the license fix, the 64-bit attachment is immediately deleted by Norton Antivirus File Insight with no way I can see to restore (this may explain why an earlier post said the 64-bit version was missing). Its also a little confusing as to whether if the license is accepted that the software will now function correctly under windows 10.

Filename: vprosvc.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: e:\data files\downloads\symantec system recovery\ssr2013r2_win10\ssr2013r2orphan87\64-bit\vprosvc.exe

On computers as of 
24/08/2015 at 12:14:10

Last Used 
24/08/2015 at 12:16:10

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

vprosvc.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

Source: External Media

Source File:
vprosvc.exe

File Actions

File: e:\data files\downloads\symantec system recovery\ssr2013r2_win10\ssr2013r2orphan87\64-bit\ vprosvc.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
c4736de08b91653d717bfbe483e024f2146615452d2656700f6e6c532e0efbb1
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

weff
Level 4

You will need to go into the Antivirus Quarantine area and restore this file which will also mark the checkbox to exclude this file from future scans.

If you can manage to click on the failed report i thinkthere is also an option to trust the file - but after the event the file should still be in quarantine so restore is still an option

roydene60
Level 3

Thanks Weff

Restored from quarantine and marked to ignore from future scans. Did not need to stop service as it was already stopped. Replaced file and re-launched SSR. Did not need to verify license details. The trial message is no longer displayed and I have successfully run all of my backups. This was my only significant issue upgrading to Windows 10 so nice to get it resolved.

Doug3909
Level 3

Roydene60 you have a bigger problem! try and restore a file. Better yet you should try and boot of SRD you will find it will not boot and your backups are useless.

roydene60
Level 3

Just for completeness I did have to input my license details and I used the ones I received when I upgraded to R2 - I was expecting to have to input before I made my backups but I was prompted afterwards.

roydene60
Level 3

Hi Doug3909

Picked a file at random and it restored okay. I will try to boot from the SRD later.

roydene60
Level 3

Booted from SRD and got into recovery environment - restored a file from one of my complete disk backups. Saw all my possible restore points and browsed the backups. I do not have an environment to try a full restore but otherwise everything looks okay.

Harry350
Level 3

I successfully created boot disks (CD) with SSR 2013 R2 11.1.3.55088 in Windows 8.1 and in windows 10 and was able to boot from both cd’s in Windows 10.
But USB Recovery Disks don’t work.
I booted into the recovery environment and restored a Windows 10 image to its original location and onto a new HD. No problems: for me it works.

Doug3909
Level 3

interesting. Let me try a CD because i was trying to recover from USB.

weff
Level 4

Doug3909,

I have managed to create a backup disk using the SRD Creator disk in Windows 10 as well as restore a full backup of my system C:\ drive  - without any issues apart from having to manually fix the created SRD disk.

There is an issue with the SRD disk for some PC's for the SRD disk iso that is created as it is missing a copy of oledlg.dll without which the SRD disk won't proceed passed SrdEULA.EXE being accepted as it boots. This only happens when you are required to use Advanced mode SRD creation due to Typical mode SRD creation failing with ECA3232B and ECA3232C errors.

However, it is possible, as I have done and proved, to add the missing oledlg.dll back onto the boot disk  using a manual process within 10 minutes and I do not understand yet why it isn't added as per normal like in Typical mode creation whereas in Advanced Mode SRD creation the file is omitted. My main desktop had this issue whereas my laptop was able to create the SRD disk with the oledlg,dll automatically in Typical Mode.

Other users are having the same issue in Windows 8.1 with SSR 2013 R2.2 and, by disabling their Anti-Virus during SRD Advanced Creation mode found that the oledlg.dll file was added properly. This workaround does not work in Windows 10 for me and does only in SRD Creation using the System Recovery Managament Console mode of SRD creation using a separate Management Console to create the disk.

There is also at present a user with SSR 2013 R2.2 that reported this problem to Symantec in April this year and unfortunately Symantec still doesn't have a fix for SSR to add the file without the manual extract, addition and re-creation process I used to manually path the iso file with the missing dll. This issue is currently one of the top threads in this forum.

There is also a problem with encrypted files as from what is reported they won't restore - but as I do't have any that I am aware of, this hasn't been an issue for me as yet.

So for some users SSR 2013 R2.3 is working ok under Windows 10.

With my laptop only needed fix for license and easier fix for SRD Creation permissions. have performed full laptop C: drive backup without any issues under Windows 10.

With my desktop needed the license fix as well as SRD Creation fix and the mod to the SRD disk created in Advanced mode. I have performed a full windows disk backup and restore under Windows 10 without any issues.

sdf-gcc
Level 1

Has the fix for SSR 2013 RS and Windows 10 been released yet?  I have many customers waiting to upgrade to Windows 10 and will not proceed until this issue is resolved.  They have been trained in Ghost and Back-Up Recovery and do not want to go with a different vendor.

criley
Employee Accredited

The license fix is available, yes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698

Harry350
Level 3

To answer your question a quotation from the email from Symantec Support I received today:
"Recently the new version of the Microsoft OS, Microsoft Windows 10 has been released.
At this point in time this OS version is not supported by the Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 or prior versions.
This situation will be addressed in future releases of the software, but for now we are not in the situation to provide any specific dates of when the compatibility with the latest Microsoft OS will be added."

W3jnp
Level 3

I have an open case number with Symantec for about one week now. I have yet to receive the promised telephone support call or even as much as a follow up email. This total lack of support is unacceptable especially when I have paid for it as a part of the cost of the software. I am now exploring other software options, several of which are far less exspensive than SSR. I've had and used Symantec products going back to the Peter Norton days and it is clear they have lost focus. Time to move on.

Case # 09320798

CQ
Level 5

Hi all,

Like many of you here, I and my employer are long time users of SSR.  The response Harry350 received from Symantec Support is both sad and frustrating.  The development team was late for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10. I participated in some of the BETAS.   Long term, I see nothing but future problems and delays as as Windows 10 will be constantly improving and changing with the new Microsoft philosophy of Windows as a service. My biggest concern is SSR will be working fine today but the next Microsoft Update causes the software to fail.  Will we have to wait months for a fix?

Some concerns:

1. Is the SSR team understaffed? Why were they not ready for Windows 10 particularly with home users now in the mix?

2. Is the consistent pattern of being late a sign this product is ultimately heading for discontinuance?

3. With the pending sale of Vertitas (which includes SSR I believe), what will the new ownership's philosophy be toward SSR?

4  Does the devlopment team need new management?

On a positive note, thank you Chris Riley for all you do.  It is tough being the man in the middle.

CQ

monsieurms
Level 4

Yes, Chris has been as helpful possible. Comments should not be taken as an attack on him personally.

In regard to the substance of your comments, I have regretfully drawn the same conclusion.

tmodel46
Level 3

I 100% agree. All points are very much correct. I feel I will be moving to another provider. Looks like Symantic has been invaded by Obama Care. 

Chris has been helpful and I am sure he wishes he could have done more. I have supported Norton/Symantec for years but my faith in them has sunk to a new low.

tmodel46

aoxomoxoa
Level 3

@CQ: Thanks for your contribution and professional attitude.

@Symantec staff: Each concern expressed by QC ends up with a questionmark. A constructive response to all five concerns about current and future policy towards SSR is required now to restore (some of) the confidence in Symantec/Veritas support. 

@Chris, since you are in the middle can/will you pass through CQ's concerns to your staff (and above)? Many of us here, especially including me,  apparently appreciate your contributions.

Thanks in advance,

Chiel

Acadien75
Level 2
With the service pack 3 (including Live Update) of SSR 2013 R2 and the Windows 10 License Issue Fix I was able to re-enable SSR 2013 R2 in Windows 10 following upgrade from Windows 8.1. However, even if it seam to work, I didn't tested any type of restoration from existing or new backup. Also I notice that SSR 2013 R2 is only accessible from the taskbar contextual menu. When clicking on the program icon the usual Home/Status Page doesn't show up so until an other fix is provided only the feature in the taskbar contextual menu are available. Does this issue was encountered by someone else? Is this part of the following SP (SP4) ? Did someone tested all possible type of restoration with SP3 and the license fix? Any update on timeline for full support of SSR 2013 R2 on Windows 10?

Tiger_lcf
Level 2

@CQ: I Totaly agree with you!! 

I upgraded from Ghost 15 to SSR 2013 when I had problems with Windows 7 and Disk that were to large for Ghost.

Since being repairing and programing computer since before DOS 1.  I know what happens when you loose a hard drive, realise you need file(s) that was deleted months ago.  My home backups are saved on 2 different hard drives and copied onto 25GB BD-R disk for longer term recovery. 

If Symantec or whoever now is getting Vertitas wants to be the insustry leader in System Recovery they must be on the cutting edge.  Since I only use the Desktop Edition at home I want software that keeps up with the release of Windows upgrades, or make software that is not limited to only run on OLD operatiting systems. 

I have found 2 other companys (and am still looking) that make backup solutions (and I'm not looking at the FREE ones) that run on Windows 10. 

Since I will NOT upgrade my primary bootable partition to Windows 10 until I find an exceptiable backup application, I'm loosing my interest in Symantec.  If I don't like SSR I will not recomend it to my supervisor for company purchase. 

Tiger