cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

ErnieP
Level 3

@Chris:  If you would, pass the following on to the "powers that be"...

For nine years, I was one of the managers at Compaq/HP that oversaw/created/tested/debugged the imaging process for Compaq's server pre-install.  We installed Windows, Novell and several flavors of Linux across our entire server line.  We used Ghost (beginning with the DOS version), PowerQuest (acquired by Symantec in 2003) and Kevin Turpin's Image Blaster (his company, Altiris, was acquired by Symantec in 2007 -- hmmm, there seems to be a trend here) as well as our own home-grown software.  The images were originally all created in Houston, but used by CPQ factories around the world.

Another of my duties was to act as the liaison for all 3 companies.  Symantec's Norton team was always a joy to work with; they stayed on top of changes in the various OSes and were very responsive whenever we had a problem.  I always knew I could depend on them.

After I took early retirement, I still continued to use Ghost for all of my backup needs, all the way up to Ghost 15 and continuing on with SSR.  Ghost was always the solution I and others could trust and depend upon.

Somewhere along the way something must have changed: staffing levels, changes in management, or changes in marketing strategy -- I don't know.  But Ghost/SSR doesn't have the same reputation it once did.  On Symantec's Norton page, the first thing it says is, "Windows 10 is here.  We've got you covered" (that seems to be mostly true, with the exception of Microsoft Edge).  Oh, how I wish SSR was still being handled by the Norton team.  Maybe I could backup/restore seamlessly right now.  Instead, my OS drives are being handled by Terabyte's Image for Windows, which doesn't seem to have any trouble with Win10.  I do have SSR reliably backing up the system drives, but have yet to try the workaround regarding the recovery disc generation.  Right now, my only restore options using SSR seem to be online restores of external drives or online restores of individual files on the OS drives.  Maybe that will change when I apply the latest workaround...

Chris, please pass along that it's getting harder and harder to carry the Ghost/SSR torch.  And that's a shame because there are decisions being made inside of Symantec that are letting down tens of thousands of people around the globe.  In the meantime, it is fortunate there are people on this forum that care enough to search for solutions.  Maybe Symantec could learn something from their dedication and tenacity.

--Ernie

weff
Level 4

Simple Workaround to missing \Windows\system32\oledlg.dll on SRD disks produced with SSR 2013 R2 SP3 (should work on all faulting SSR 2013 R2 systems.) - both under Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

I have installed SSR 2013 R2 SP3 on both my desktop as well as my laptop. Both systems had SSR 2013 R2 SP3 installed under Windows 8.1 and then both systems were upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

With the cjm patch I have enabled licensing on both systems and with the SRDCreator.exe also tweaked into All User Compatibility modefor Windows 8 I am able to start the SRD Creator Wizard under Windows 10 on both the laptop and desktop.

With the laptop - it produces SRD iso files in Typical mode without any issues and  oledlg.dll is being included in \Windows\system32 of the boot image BOOT.WIM located in \SOURCES within the iso.

The laptop SRD disk boots successfully without any issues.

With the desktop - it errors while creating an SRD disk with error codes ECA3232B and ECA3232C and fails to complete. On the desktop I have installed the Windows 8.1 ADK package and have then been able to run the SRD Creator Wizard in Advanced mode successfully - but the SRD iso produced is missing oledlg.dll in \Windows\system32 and you cannot boot the disk past the EULA acceptance missing that dll.

I have previously documented a somewhat complex way to extract the iso contents then using DISM (part of the ADK) extract the Windows image, manually add the oledlg.dll file in \Windows\system32 and then commit the Windows image back, then replace BOOT.WIM in the iso and then finally rewrite the modified SRD iso to a new CD-R to have a working SRD boot disk.

Although this method works it is a bit complicated and for every SRD iso you create the mod need to be repeated.

I have now determined a fairly simple workaround to copy the 64-bit version of oledlg.dll (in C:\Windows\system32) and the 32-bit version of oledlg.dll (in C:\Windows\SysWOW64) into the SRD system image skeleton directory used by the SRD Wizard in creating new iso'd. After you make the following 2 file copies on affected SSR 2013 R2 systems that have to use Advanced Mode SRD creation only to produce disks that are missing oledlg.dll

Interim Solution to missing oledlg.dll in created SRD disks in Advanced Mode.

It is assumed that you have already modified the Compatibility Mode setting of SRDCreator.exe in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Console directory to be Windows 8 for all users so that SRDCreator works under Windows 10.

You will need Administrator rights to perform the following and OK each one.

1. Copy C:\Windows\system32\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win64-x64\Files\Windows\system32

2. Copy C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win32\Files\Windows\system32

Once this change is made future SRD disks produced in Advanced mode should always include the appropriate oledlg.dll in \Windows\system32 -with a 32-bit version for 32-bit systems and the 64-bit version for 64-bit systems.. I have tested that the oledlg.dll is written to the system image BOOT.WIM from the skeleton files and that the disk boots successfully through the EULA on a 64-bit system only.

This workaround should also work for 32-bit SRD disk creations - but has not yet been verified.

This is an interim solution only as once Symantec is able to correct the underlying problem then oledlg.dll should be added automatically in both tyoical and Advanced SRD Mode creation.

weff
Level 4

This is the solution without all the background detail.

Interim Solution to missing oledlg.dll in created SRD disks in Advanced Mode.

It is assumed that you have already modified the Compatibility Mode setting of SRDCreator.exe in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Console directory to be Windows 8 for all users so that SRDCreator works under Windows 10.

You will need Administrator rights to perform the following and OK each one.

1. Copy C:\Windows\system32\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win64-x64\Files\Windows\system32

2. Copy C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win32\Files\Windows\system32

Once this change is made future SRD disks produced in Advanced mode should always include the appropriate oledlg.dll in \Windows\system32 -with a 32-bit version for 32-bit systems and the 64-bit version for 64-bit systems.. I have tested that the oledlg.dll is written to the system image BOOT.WIM from the skeleton files and that the disk boots successfully through the EULA on a 64-bit system only.

This workaround should also work for 32-bit SRD disk creations - but has not yet been verified.

This is an interim solution only as once Symantec is able to correct the underlying problem then oledlg.dll should be added automatically in both tyoical and Advanced SRD Mode creation.

criley
Employee Accredited

By the way, just to clarify, this issue is not specific to Windows 10. We have some customers seeing this on Windows 2008 R2 / Windows 8.1 etc.

It's still a work in progress but it looks as though the issue may be caused by some anti-virus software blocking the file during the SRD creation (one customer has mentioned McAfee as the software in question). I'm waiting for another customer to confirm if this is the issue for them as well.

weff
Level 4

For the Windows 10 variety of this problem I tried disabling the AntiVirus Auto-Protect (I am using latest Norton Internet Security) and it made no difference.

Whereas adding oledlg.dll into the SRD skeleton file structure to always be created as part of the System Image on the SRD disk - worked fully.

The underlying problem in Advanced mode is that whatever mecahnism that the SRD Creator uses in Typical mode is different in Advanced mode and the oledlg.dll is missing from within the system image.

I have extracted the SRD iso contents, and used DISM to mount BOOT.WIM to find out whether oledlg.dll was even present. In Advanced mode creation that file is absent altogether.

I was fortunate that the laptop SRD Creation worked as I then knew from its BOOT.WIM contents where oledlg.dll was meant to be located.

I expect that we will most likely find that all PC's running SSR 2013 R2 SP3 with SRD Creation in Advanced mode will always fail irrespective of Anti-Virus and irrespective of whether this is Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

As to why this occurs - hopefully the Symantec developers will be able to work that out.

criley
Employee Accredited

I expect that we will most likely find that all PC's running SSR 2013 R2 SP3 with SRD Creation in Advanced mode will always fail irrespective of Anti-Virus and irrespective of whether this is Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

No, that's not true. I've tested this several times myself and it always works for me.

I see you have already posted on the other thread that is specific to the oledlg.dll issue. I'll post more details there as and when they become available.

ErnieP
Level 3

Chris,

Here is another data point.  I did an upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.  Simply changing the compatibility on VProSvc and SRDCreator to Win8 (my thanks to both @cjm and @weff for their help) has SSR R2 SP3 successfully backing up and allowed me to successfully create an SRD in Typical mode.  I also tested the SRD (exploring and recovering files but not restoring a disk) with no problems.  With regards to anti-virus, I'm running the latest version of NIS.

My configuration is not particularly complicated (all drives internal or USB-connected; no network drives; although there is an internal hidden SSD that HP uses to speed up hard drive transfers) so maybe that's the reason I didn't encounter the other problems that @weff had.  Anyway, at least there is hope for some of us for the time being.

--Ernie

mluna20
Level 3

I downgraded to Windows 8.1.  Does Symantec have a confirmed date for Windows 20 support?

Mark

weff
Level 4

Chris,

Yes -  I posted the solution to the other thread - there are some users there desperate for a solution and if this helps them  have a temporary solution whilst Symantec work on an overall solution I thought it could be worthwhile.

I also made it clear that the solution was specific to Windows 10 as I can no longer test in Windows 8.1.

If this problem is specific to only some PC's then some hardware (or software) difference between the working and the non-working is present - even in Windows 10 my laptop was fine in Typical mode SRD creation - but the desktop failed in Typical and then was missing oledlg.dll in the Advanced result.

[I will qualify the comment to state not accurate as well.]  ..well I would if I could still edit the comment ..but must have been posted too long.

Finally - I see no harm in the short term with adding oledlg.dll into the SRD creation skeleton (to always be deployed in an SRD created disk) - especially if it solves this problem for users who reported it back in April this year that are still waiting on a result!

criley
Employee Accredited

I appreciate you providing a workaround as it will be helpful for some customers.

The point I was trying to make is that the issue is not specific to Windows 10 (after all, this thread is dedicated to issues with Windows 10).

As I mentioned, I am waiting on an update from one of my customers regarding anti-virus on his machine. He is currently out of office so I won't get any feedback for around 2-3 weeks. Once I have more news on this, I'll update the other thread.

Harry350
Level 3

Thanks @weff, I managed to create a RSD in Windows 10 with your workaround.
I made a RSD in Windows 8.1 where the oledlg.dll automatically was added to the RSD and with this RSD I succeeded in restoring a Windows 10 image to the original location and to a brand new HD.
There however was one problem, SRD R2 SP3 refused to create the RSD in Windows 10 until I deleted the SymantecSrd.iso in My Documents but once done that everything worked flawless.
I extracted with 7-Zip the iso file to a USB disk and even this disk booted.
Thanks again for the solution that, I’m sorry to say, Symantec should have  provided weeks ago.

weff
Level 4

<quoted>There however was one problem, SRD R2 SP3 refused to create the RSD in Windows 10 until I deleted the SymantecSrd.iso in My Documents but once done that everything worked flawless.<end-quoted>

That is a normal SRD Creator Wizard feature as it is meant to prevent you accidentally overwriting your SRD disk iso. I always use the option of changing the default name to be something descriptive of the system it is for. That way I can have all the SRD iso's in the same directory as they all have their own name.

for example SymantedSRD-desktop-new4.iso

I am happy that you have been able to create a working Recovery disk under Windows 10 - the good thing too is that this workaround should also work under Windows 8 and Windows 2008 R2 so that those users that have been unable to create a useable SRD disk will finally have a solution.

Keith_Fields
Level 2
Employee Accredited

mluna20, 

Support for Windows 10 is scheduled for the next service pack for SSR 2013 R2 targeted for Q4.

Keith

mluna20
Level 3

I paid for a 3 yr. subscription a few months ago.  Can I get a prorated refund for 2+ yrs.  Currently looking at alternatives.

Mar

Acadien75
Level 2
SSR 2013 R2 SP3 with license patch is finally working on Windows 10. I'm now able to backup my PC again. The Home/Status page was not loading after the update from Windows 8.1 and only the features accessible through the taskbar contextual menu was working. This issue was due to corrupted Symantec user settings. Once settings deleted SSR 2013 start working correctly on Windows 10. I still need to test the recovery disk creation. If it is not working I will wait for Service Pack 4. Maybe the light restore option is a good temporary solution if the restore disk is not working but I need to test it.

Keith_Fields
Level 2
Employee Accredited

CQ, 

First, let me thank you (and everyone else who participates in the SSR forum)  for being an SSR cutomer and also for sharing with us your valid concerns and frustrations. We sincerely appreciate feedback from our customers thorugh our forums to help us improve our product offering. However, I realize this has no bearing on the fact that SSR currently lacks support for Windows 10. However, we are feverishly working to get support added in the next SP which is slated for the Q4 timeframe. Although there have been numerous distractions prior to and with the announcement of Symantec splitting and selling off the Information Management portion of the its business (Veritas), our customer have fallen victim. 

I realize actions speak louder than words, but I just wanted to let everyone know that the Veritas PM team is committed and working with engineering to providing support for Windows 10 as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Keith

weff
Level 4

The workaround to get the SRD disk creator to run on Windows 10 is real easy to apply.

You may also find that you are able to build a new SRD boot disk under Windows 10 in Typical mode that also boots first go without any issues whatsoever.

If not, and the Typical Mode SRD creation fails with errors like ECA3232B: and ECA3232C: then that will mean you will need to download and install the Windows ADK and then run Advanced mode SRD disk creation.

The disk that Advanced mode produces will most likely not include oledlg.dll so when you boot the disk it will fail at SRDEULA.exe with missing that dll.

So then - apply the simple workaround to this ( just have to copy 2 files to ensure that oledlg.dll is always included in the SRD disk during the SRD Creation procedure) and problem solved.

At that point you should have a fully working SSR 2013 R2 SP3 under Windows 10 - and with the ability to create fully working Recovery Boot disks.

The good thing too about these simple workarounds (described above) is that when the next version of SSR 2013 R2 is released (SP4) then none of the workarounds will be present so nothing you do to the SP3 release with these workarounds will impact you using SP4 in the future.

Since adding these changes I now have a fully working SSR 2013 R2 SP3 version running fully under Windows 10 - the only side-effect with the desktop machine is I have to run the SRD creator in Advanced mode. The laptop which I had also upgraded to Windows 10 around the same time ran the SRD Creator successfully in Typical mode - as only some PC's  have this issue - which is similar for users in Windows 8.1 and Windows 2008 R2. Plus the workarounds will work in all versions of Windows to restore SRD Creation under Advanced mode,.

So apart from setting the Compatibility mode to enable the SRD Creator to run under Windows 10 there is a good chance that is all you might have to do.

That sounds easier than having to try and use another product altogether if you don't have to.

r4784
Level 3

How long has Symantec had copies of windows 10? Did it just get dropped on their doorstep and that is the reason there is no win10 compatible software?

I paid 124 bucks I think it was and want my money back. I have found other software that was/is win10 compatible when win10 came out and I see no reason to have 124 bucks sitting around when I can't even REALLY use the software. All these work arounds are great but I didn't pay for a work around - I paid for software that should work - when I gave my credit card number I was never informed that it was not win10 compatible.

As a user since Peter Norton started it is hard to admit that this software has fallen so far down the tubes.

r4784
Level 3

I posted a reply to Keiths post about Q4 for a fix - and it was deleted.

All I said was I found another backup program that IS Win10 compatible and asked how to get my money back and it was deleted?

I also said that I didn't pay 124 bucks for a work around provided by customers on software that should have been win10 compatible.

Matt_91F
Not applicable

@cjm:

Thanks for the tip, your solution was very useful for me and I can confirm you that it worked fine...

Have a nice Sunday!