cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

BJB
Level 5

Based on the above does that mean that support will be moving to a Veritas forum? As a registered licensed user of more than one SSR2013  license and support contracts, it sure would have been nice to receive an e-mail from Veritas/Symantec saying something like:  "As you might have read there has been an acquisition.......here is what is happening with your product.....here is what is happening with your support....  Perhaps this happened and I missed it?

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

Based on the above does that mean that support will be moving to a Veritas forum?

Yes. A Veritas version of this forum should be up and running soon (towards the end of this year is my understanding).

mluna20
Level 3

I had system issues and decided to uninstll and reinstal SSR2013 R2.  The reinstall failed everytime.  I found a copy of SSR2013 on my system and that installed.  However when I run Live Update, it says that  my product is up to date.  It's not.  I'd like to install the R2 upgrade.

Mark

mluna20
Level 3

I discoverted that a version prior to R2 installs and seems to work on Windows 10.  Tried to upgrade to R2 but then it no longer worked, so I downgraded again.  Havent' tested restore yet.

Mark

weff
Level 4

One of the "enhancements" in R2 was to add validation of OS version - any OS found to not pass results in the client code failing.

If you look further up this now somewhat lengthy message trail you will find some workarounds that bypass the OS version test for the SSR service and for the SSR Disk Create Wizard as well as an optional fix for a potential problem with the SSR Boot disk failing to start properly on boot due to a missing dll - this last fix is optional as not all system versions running under Windows 10 encounter this issue. If you find that you can create an SRD Boot Disk in Typical mode then the last optional fix of the three will most likely not be required.

Since applying those 3 fixes I have been able to create new SRD boot disks, run SSR to perform full Image backups as well as file backups and perform  full disk restores.

If everything runs to schedule we should soon have a new R3 version of SSR that is meant to support Windows 10.

Geoff

TeleFragger
Level 5

well it is frustrating with SSR always being behind. What I mean by that is at least for us we use SSR-MS piece into Altiris. We are always waiting for the Management Solution piece to be upgraded after Altiris has a new version. Example is Altiris CMS 7.5 came out but SSR wasnt supported so we had to wait. We waited so long that CMS 7.5 SP1 HF5 came out and then we could jump.... now it is holding us up again from going to CMS 7.6 which is now up to HF6!!!!

one thing we are contemplating doing is ditch our remaining licenses. We had 4000 RS (Recovery Solution) licenses and RS worked beautiful... SSR has no chance of even coming close to as good of a product since we do not care about data and all we want is our OS back up and running.

We dropped to 1000 licenses for maintenance and only use 88 now so will possibly drop to 250 on next reneal then drop those at next...

so frustrating when a solution works wonders then gets bought out how it is kicked to the side and replaced with a product that just does not compete.

CQ
Level 5

Hi all,

Sit tight a bit longer everyone.  Beta testing with Veritas is over and we should have a release sometime this month.  SP4 will definitely be compatible with Windows 10.

Thanks,

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

Quick update for everyone ...

SP4 is due for release early next week. I will provide a further update once SP4 is available in the public domain.

weff
Level 4

For those of you that have temporarily applied the workarounds so as to restore use of SSR under Windows 10 - you may have noticed that there is a new release of Windows 10 - being version 1511.

This is applied automatically under System Updates as per normal - or you can manually apply this from a manual download from the Microsoft tech bench https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

As yet I have not seen this in Windows Update - possibly because it hasn't reached our area - or however Microsoft progressively releases it around the world so as to not break their download servers.

However, once you have applied this 3.75GB ISO - you will find that SSR license is once again invalid - and you are back in trial mode.

The solution is again easy - reapply the CJM fix (or the Symantec license patch) and the SSR license will again be operational.

As I already had applied the CJM fix I have not applied the Symantec License patch - but I believe that if I already had this most likely would not be an issue - since I believe the patch disables the SSR OS check for the license - hence the issue would not have re-occcurred.

The reason this problem with Windows 10 Ver 1511 occurred is that on moving to the the newer version the CJM patch to the SSR Service, even though applied to the file, must also be loaded in the Registry with the Services and this change did not get passed across to 1511 Registry entries.  Since the fix was already on the file, I varied the CJM fix in this area to  stop the SSR service, first apply Windows 7 compatibility for the SSR exe  then reapplied it for Windows 8 Compatibility for All Users then restarted the service again = problem solved.

Or I could have applied the Symantec License patch, or continued to wait for the Veritas Service Pack 4 version.

Note that I expect the SP4 installation will automatically also remove the 3 interim fixes that fully enabled SSR and all functionality under Windows 10 so nothing special should need to be done to remove them. As I have found, any reinstallation of SSR will remove these 3 interim fixes.

Geoff

Robert777
Level 4

Hi

I have unstalled Windows 10 recently and I hat to re unstall Symantec system recovery 2013 . Unfortunatly , my licence bougth  about 2 years ago is not accepted  and I have an error message when I file the key

I read the thread and I have noticed there are some problem with Windows 10 . Please could you help me and give what I do to sort out .

Regards

Michel

criley
Employee Accredited
Windows 10 is only supported with SSR 2013 R2, not with SSR 2013. We have today released SP4 for 2013 R2 which officially adds support for Windows 10. Details here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000099941. The service pack itself should be available later today (the article for this has only just been published).

Roland_R_
Level 2
Partner

Dear Chris,

the Release Notes for SP4 says

#3851222 SBS license issue on Windows Foundation OS.

Does ist means, that it is now possible to install the SBS-Version of SSR2013R2 on Win2012R2 Foundation?

Another thing.

The Loginlink to post comments doubles www.veritas.com (https://www.veritas.com.veritas.com...)

Thanks for response

criley
Employee Accredited

Does ist means, that it is now possible to install the SBS-Version of SSR2013R2 on Win2012R2 Foundation?

Yes, that's correct.

Polar_Bear
Level 3
Hi Chris, How will SP4 be made available later today? Is it available through Live Update or otherwise? Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited
It won't be on LiveUpdate but will be here instead: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000099915

Roland_R_
Level 2
Partner
Thanks for the Information

Hans05
Level 4

I see that the SP4 patches are now available but what about the full version downloadable from the licensing potal? Will that become available today or later in the week?

Thanks.

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I hate to be a chronic complainer here but I seem to be given little choice:  the Vertias website/forum and also the situation with fileconnect is very screwed up right now.  I am getting all kinds of errors going to the Verias website(s) and these errors are not my site nor machine specific.  Example, when I came to this very thread and at the "Login or register to comment" links at the bottom, when I click Login I get sent to:

https://www.veritas.com.veritas.com/community/user/login?destination=node%2F3433611

I know this is a new website and all but c'mon guys :) .  This is just one of many issues. 

Also when I go to fileconnect and input the serial # for SSR, it gives me the message about how SSR is a Vertias product and givse me a link to click - I click it - and I get sent to a 404 page.  It's sending me to www.myveritas.com which doesn't work (as I write this post anyway), so after some screwing around I find that it's supposed to be my.vertias.com.  When I go there and log in, there is no sign of a place to download files. 

So basically the whole website is shmucked up and whomever you're outsourcing your web design is not doing any quality control whatsoever before putting these pages live.  Ok maybe it's a script or something, sorry if I'm being unfair but this isn't just a URL typo, it's a whole series of issues that renders your website useless to me as of this post. 

That said, I know nobody on here is at fault, so may I humbly and in a friendly manner :), request a direct link to whereever SSR 2013 R2 SP4 is located? 

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ok I found the area to download, it's under my.vertias.com and then Licensing and then Entitlements.  My fault for not checking there first.  The file isn't yet available it seems yet, since I see only 11.1.3 right now, but I imaginmme it will show up soon. 

Can somebody post on here when they've been able to download successfully version 11.1.4? 

Thank you. 

criley
Employee Accredited
My understanding is that the 11.1.4 build should be available today via the my.veritas.com portal. This usually happens during US hours (I'm in the UK) so it may take a few more hours to be 'live'..