cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

John9090
Level 3

Hi Chris,

Yup, brand spanking new installation from scratch.

Installed Windows 10, then upgraded to PRO from the Windows Store.

Then installed Norton 360 Premier (anitvirus)

Then updated the computer via windows updates.

Then installed SSR and then the patch.

Then did a backup of my C: Drive and then tried to create the SRD and got that message.

Now I know it is not me that is doing anything wrong, I am a support tech myself as well so I pretty much know what I'm doing.

I read the details of the link you specified - I will try it but this issue still needs to be corrected because it is done on a TYPICAL SRD creation and not advanced which requires that component to be installed.

So definately a bug. And there was another user here in this thread that reported the same thing.

Robert777
Level 4

I have contacted Veritas  support  this morning and they can do anything because I bougth  SSR 2013 , 2 years ago and my licence support was valid for 1 year ( confirmed by Symantec and Veritas ) .

I have to buy another licence not for support , because it is easy to use SSR 2013 .

I have 2 solutions !

1) I can't download  R2 -> Please do you have the link on Veritas site web ? . I have tried many times to download on Symantec web site , but my licence is not accepted . The guy of Symantec Support tell me ttat now it is impossible to use this link .

2) I don't find the store  to buy SSR2013  or equivalent .....  I want the same software compatible with Windows 10 . Could you  give me the link to buy please 

What is the cost ?

Regards

criley
Employee Accredited

John9090,

Yes, that issue needs correcting. As I mentioned on the other thread, the advanced option to create an SRD is a workaround (not a fix). I have already made our engineering team aware of the issue. They now need to investigate and fix it.

Now the issue you are seeing could be something different. I have myself installed Win 10 Pro (Build 1511) but do not see the issue you are seeing. It could be that your step of upgrading to PRO via the store has caused this. I just did a new install of Pro.

We would need to check to see how many instances you have of the Winre.wim file on your machine. This is what SSR checks when creating an SRD.

The wim file usually resides in the recovery partition which is not usually accessible via Windows explorer. You will need to back it up, then open the recovery point into the recovery point browser. Then restore the file (found in \Recovery\WindowsRE) to a temporary location. Once it has been restored, you can run the following command against it:

dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:<path to wim file> /index:1

The results of this command may give us some clues. Also, you may find wim files in other locations, such as:

1. C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\SafeOS
2. In the system reserved partition

John9090
Level 3

Hi Chris,

Well, did as you requested and managed to extract the file.

Here are the results:

Details for image : D:\decomp\2\Winre.wim

Index : 1
Name : Microsoft Windows Recovery Environment (x64)
Description : Microsoft Windows Recovery Environment (x64)
Size : 1,387,898,766 bytes
WIM Bootable : No
Architecture : x64
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 6.3.9600
ServicePack Build : 16384
ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : WindowsPE
Installation : WindowsPE
ProductType : WinNT
ProductSuite :
System Root : WINDOWS
Directories : 3127
Files : 14797
Created : 2013-08-22 - 9:10:13 AM
Modified : 2013-08-22 - 9:10:25 AM
Languages :
        en-US (Default)

The operation completed successfully.

Ron84
Level 2

SSR 2013 R2 is available from resellers in the UK e.g. QBS Software:

http://tinyurl.com/pyc8xwn 

SP4 is downloadable from the Veritas site.

Robert777
Level 4

Hello Everybody

I have downloaded SSR2013 R2 from Veritas website . After I use the patch  to use it for windows 10 . It is a trailware of 60 days . I tested it during this time and after I'll buy the licence .

In order to create a SSR Recovery disk , I need the Iso File . Where can find it ?

Thank you for your response

criley
Employee Accredited

Robert777,

You do not NEED the ISO file to create the recovery disk. Just run the SRD creation wizard in order to CREATE this yourself ..

criley
Employee Accredited

Here is the problem:

Version : 6.3.9600
ServicePack Build : 16384

Also, check this:

Created : 2013-08-22 - 9:10:13 AM
Modified : 2013-08-22 - 9:10:25 AM

The version for Windows 10 should show as '10.0' for the WIM file. Your version is for Windows 8.1 (http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/15/find-version-windows-8-running/).

Are you sure this was not an upgrade? Either way, seems that you have same issue as this (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100493) which is something our engineering team are already looking at.

Robert777
Level 4

Thank you Chris

I do never succeed to create a SSR Recovery Disk  by your method . I have not the Disk  souce , just a download software .

With ISO FILE, it is easy to create the Disk . With the other choice , I don't know what I have to fill in in the  box  . See the capture . I am very lost .

Regards

criley
Employee Accredited

I thought you were running SSR 2013 R2 now? Seems you have 2013 (not R2). Please confirm..

pmaii
Level 3

Hello Robert777,

Je vois que vous ête francais. Donc :

Dans le menu Tâches vous devez cliquez sur "Créer un disque de réparation" et non "Personnaliser le disque de récupération existant".

Si vous cliquez sur "Créer un disque de réparation" aucun ISO ne sera nécessaire puisque vous allez créer cet ISO.

Sauvegarder le ou vous voulez. 

Puis sous Windows 10 cliquez droit sur ce fichier puis cliquez sur "graver l'image disque" (mettez dun DVD vierge dans votre graveur au paravent).

Et hop vous avez un disque bootable.

Précision : 

Je vous conseille de télécharger d'abord ADK puis dans la création choisissez le mode avancé sinon certains prériphériques ne fonctionnent pas et notamment si vous avez une souris sans fil.

Robert777
Level 4

Thank you everybody

Answer To  Chris

Yes ,  I have yet SSR for the moment SSR 2013 and not R2  and it is OK with windows 10 ( and my prevois licence bougth 2 years ago is valid  ) . I have downloaded this morning SSR 2013 R2 , Trialware , but not unstalled . I am waiting the price for the licence from Veritas .

Answer to pmaii

Thank you

Vous êtes français aussi ?

Merci c'est plus facile en français . J'habite près de Paris .

Je n'ai pas avec la version SSR 2013 la fonction ' Créer un disque  de réparation " . Elle est peut-être dans la version SSR 2013 R2 que je n'ai pas encore installé , car j'attends le prix .( Voir capture

C'est quoi ADK ? Je fais mes gravures avec Nero 10  ou Burnaware . J'ai effectivement une souris sans fil

Thank for your help

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes ,  I have yet SSR for the moment SSR 2013 and not R2  and it is OK with windows 10

As you know, SSR 2013 is not supported with Windows 10. There really is no point in creating a recovery disk until you have upgraded to 2013 R2 SP4.

John9090
Level 3

Hi Chris,

This is interesting what you are stating...

This was 100% a fresh installation BUT Windows 8.1 was the operating system quite a while back, just before Windows 10 was released in August.

What I did do to install it is DOWNLOAD the MEDIA CREATION KIT from Microsoft and create a WINDOWS 10 DISC 1511

Insert the Windows 10 disc 1511 and boot off it to start the setup procedure.

Click on CUSTOM INSTALL.

FORMAT the C: Partition and install Windows 10 1511 on it.

And this was done a few times since August.

What I am thinking is because the HDD Partition were CREATED with Windows 8.1, is there residue information that is being left over from those partitions (which by the way I have a RECOVERY Partition from HP that is the FACTORY INSTALL IMAGE of Win 8.0) that SSR 2013 R2 is picking up from?

Do I need to delete all my partitions and start from scratch?

Also, I have a question for you in which maybe you can help. I need to download the .ISO from Win 10 x64 PRO. I have a Pro licence but from my Win 8.1 purchase.

When I use the Media Creation Tool to create a WIN 10 x64 1511 disc, it always installs the HOME version. I am not at anytime prompted for my Product key. Only when I log in with my Microsoft Account within Win 10 after the install, it is only then that I can go to the store and upgrade to PRO.

I also only have a WIN 8.1 product key which is now supported (supposedly) by Win 10 x64 1511 But without that Win 10 PRO .iso, I have to keep installing the slow way as mentioned above. Any ideas?

criley
Employee Accredited

What I am thinking is because the HDD Partition were CREATED with Windows 8.1, is there residue information that is being left over from those partitions (which by the way I have a RECOVERY Partition from HP that is the FACTORY INSTALL IMAGE of Win 8.0) that SSR 2013 R2 is picking up from?

Do I need to delete all my partitions and start from scratch?

Yes, I suspect the recovery partition (which is where the WIM file resides) was 'left behind' - hence the issue you are now seeing.

If you can wait, we should hopefully have a fix for this before the end of the year. So you don't need to start from scratch.

Sorry, I cannot answer your other question - that one needs to be directed at Microsoft I'm afraid.

Robert777
Level 4

Hello Chris

I saved 2 days ago , the System disk C et Disk D and E ( incremential saves ) .

See the capture

pmaii
Level 3

@robert777,

Installer la version SSR 2013 R2.

La création d'un disque de réparation y est dans le menu tâches.

ADK c'est le pack de développement Microsoft.

Dans la fonction création d'un disque de réparation vous trouverez un lien pour le télécharger.

Télécharger puis bien choisir AVANCE dans les options

Robert777
Level 4

Thanks a lot pmaii .

I have unstalled SSR 2013  R2 -Version 11.1.4.55331  . It seems working with windows 10 . I have not unstall the patch . Would I unstall the patch ?

For the moment Trialware of 60 days . I am going to test it with saving the System disk C . Not yet try to produce SSR Disk .

pmaii
Level 3

@robert777

NO you should not install the patch.
Think download ADK before testing creating the repair disc

Robert777
Level 4

Now I have to buy a licence . Veritas don't buy a licence .

Do you know where I can find a serious vendor ?

When I consult some sites in France , I have a negative response : not available .

On Symantec and Veritas  site , it is impossible to obtain the key : unbelieavble