cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

pmaii
Level 3

I have the same problem because I want to renew my license maintenance but it is impossible to know where to go for it.
I am in France
The site VERITAS is not very explicit on this subject.
I opened an issue and for two days I have not received a response.
Nobody is in a hurry to sell apparently !!!

John9090
Level 3

Hey Chris,

Just want to know, if I were to proceed with a typical installation even though I receive the error message that I can only restore a Win8.1/Server 2002 backup, would it still work? It could be a very simple bug that doesn't read the Windows version properly but has no effect on actual performance. A cosmetic bug if you will.

I went ahead and downloaded the ADK and installed it and created a Recovery Disc so I'm good to go.

BJB
Level 5

Chris,

I am installing SSR2013 on a new Disk with Windows 10.  I understand that R2 SP4 supports windows 10. Question is this.  What version of SSR2013 do I install before I install the patch?  And where do I get it?  I am a registered/licensed/maintenance plan user.

Thanks,
BJB

ChuckElliot
Level 2

I purchased a new copy of SSR 2013 R2 Desktop at the end of September once I learned that Windows 10 support would come with SP4.

I made the purchase on Amazon.

I installed and activated the product on Windows 7 Pro where it works fine.

I have delayed my upgrade to Windows 10 until SR SP4.

I attempted to go to my.veritas.com to get SP4. My purchase was not listed and the web site will not let me register the M###### serial number!

I have had numerious converstions with support and opened a case#.

Veritas says I have what the call a "boxed" version of the product and it can not be updated? I bumped to a supervisor who had me attach the receipt from Amazon, the Serial # Basic maintenance agreement and Licence key card as scans to the case #.

This all was 2 days ago.

The supervisor has not called me back.

Today I called again. Same thing. Bumped to a supervisor who has still not called me back!

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

You can just install the trial version (which already has SP4 incorporated into it): https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery

Robert777
Level 4

pmaii

Si ça continue je vais passer à la concurrence .

Le support veritas me donne des liens qui ne fonctionnent pas . Ce ne sont pas des vendeurs mais des utilisateurs .

pmaii
Level 3

@robert777 and ChuckElliot,

I think that since the purchase of Symantec, VERITAS is completely disorganized.

There are not used to working with individuals but remains operational with major accounts.
I am retired from the computer. I keep in touch with my former colleagues who are not our problem because they have a dedicated sales engineer.

This is unacceptable because we are not responsible for their stock market manipulation.

Meanwhile, even if we are honest, and are looking to buy or renew a license, they can not tell us where to go.

I wrote them for three days and no one answers. They seem to be squarely sheet. I just restart we'll see.

Do not buy from AMAZON or other unknown resellers, because in this case VERITAS refuse you the license and therefore farewell to the maintenance period.

We must go all shout loudly this type of behavior to say the least incomprehensible. They have already taken a long time to come into compliance with Windows 10 and now it is not filled to buy licenses.

@Chris Riley,
Can you do something for us because we are in France and the US sites do not want to sell outside the united states.

criley
Employee Accredited

pmaii,

I'm no expert when it comes to where to purchase the product but I believe you need to do it via a partner, using this:

http://partnerlocator.veritas.com/

pmaii
Level 3

@Chis Riley,

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, I know this link.

But I find nothing in the search because there are only partner companies for large accounts.

I tried to write some of these companies but no answer because individuals do not interest them.

Can you still report the serious problem because I am sure that many are in my case.

Anyone with SSR 2013 R2 are in the majority of individuals and small businesses.

Symantec had a shop but for that VERITAS has none.

Thanks in advance

mluna20
Level 3

So we have Windows 10 support without support for the recovery disk creation and without support for LightsOut?  So we can backup but we can't restore?

Mark

Robert777
Level 4

Hello Everybody

I  was able to create a  Srd disk , but before  I had to unstall a big file  ADK ( kit for windows ) of 6.6 Go .

Is this kit is necessary ? Can I  uninstall after ?

After creating this disk , I have noticed the SSR 2013 icon ( yellox and typical SSR 2013 °  on the desk has changed of appearance and becomes , neutral  white icon as a white document . But I can run SSR 2013 from this icon . How I have to proceed to return to the typical icon ?

Is SSR 2013 R2 (  version 11.1.4.55331 )  the last version ?

I don't understand the différence between SP3 et SP4 .

Regards

Ron84
Level 2

My new SSR 2013 R2 SP4 (Vsn 11.2.4.55331) Desktop Edition is installed and is running on Win10. I took the option to create a recovery CD.  To check that the recovery CD worked I changed the BIOS to boot from CD and booted up.  It booted successfully though I have not attempted a restore yet.  

I was able to run SSR, take an image backup, and then successfully restored a folder using the Granular Restore option.

The Veritas website is pitched at corporate accounts and uses big authorised resellers to sell licences. These are geared to the corporate market so I navigated around this problem by obtaining my copy of SSR 2013 SP4 from QBS Software in the UK.  QBS does not appear in the Veritas list of approved resellers but does have an arrangement with Veritas to supply software:

http://tinyurl.com/pyc8xwn 

There may be other such companies but I am not aware of them.  This route avoids the problems people have experienced with "boxed" copies of SSR.

I purchased the Desktop version of SSR2013 with a one year of maintenance contract and three working days later got an email from Veritas providing me with an 'Entitlement ID'.  I logged on to my Veritas account, registered my Entitlement Id, downloaded the latest build of SSR 2013 SP4, generated a licence key, installed the software and entered my Licemce Key.   New Veritas/Symantec users will obviously have to create an account first.

pmaii
Level 3

@robert777,

The color of the icon and uninstalling ADK kit is secondary.
Your real problem is where to buy the license, because in three months your trial version will not work anymore.

Yes version 11.1.4.55331 is a last version.

@ron84,

Thank you for the link I'll try to go through them, hoping they are willing to sell for a user outside the united states.

pmaii
Level 3

@ron84,

Can not buy from : http://tinyurl.com/pyc8xwn 

Because Vat Number (what is it ?)

Can't register because this

Help

Ron84
Level 2

@pmalii

VAT =  A UK tax on purchases called "Value Added Tax".  Try clicking on the Shopping Basket icon and switch to Euros on the currency dropdown and see if that that works.  If you still have problems there is a Chat service and a contact telephone number at:

http://www.qbssoftware.com/contact 

Robert777
Level 4

Amazone , you  can find SSR 2013 for 99 euros  but in box and I believe the key is not accepted by Veritas

http://www.amazon.fr/Symantec-Recovery-Desktop-p%C3%A9riph%C3%A9rique-Builders/dp/B00AY1LPSQ

PriceMinister , the price is 55 euros

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/474233611/symantec-system-recovery-2013-r2-desktop-edition-licence-1-year-essential-support-1-peripherique-oem-system-builders-win-multi.html?ja1=tsid:65146|cgn:1395014509|kw:4

Robert777
Level 4

Hi

Please find capture of the SSR 2013 icon on the desk . I can run SSR from this icon , but I would like why it has changed ? I wonder if there is a problem  now and also bigger in the future  .

Same thing :

In the directory C :/program/Symantec /.... etc I can't open the pdf file . Is ther a problem or my installation is yet corruped ?

Thank you for your response .

Regards

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

I am not able to find this update using symantec installation manager. Lastest update of symantec_v2.pl.xml is listed as 14 december

pmaii
Level 3

@RON84

Thank you RON84,
That does not work either because registration is required and in the form, he claims a VAT code.
I just email them to ask what to put as code

ssr17573
Not applicable

I have a number of licenses of Symantec System Recovery which are no longer licensed when I upgraded to Windows 10. I located the Service Pack 4 patch on your site but it failed to work resulting in an error dialog box with the words as follows:

This patch cannot be installed on this computer. Please contact Symantec Customer Support for more information.