cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Version 1803 and VSR 18.0

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

Microsoft has started rolling out the Windows 10 Version 1803 Spring update.  Wondering if VSR 18.0 is compatable/supported for this latest version of Windows 10.

Thanks,

CQ

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

It's not supported at this stage. The plan is to add support for this in SP1 for VSR 18.

This (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/VSR_18_SCL) will be updated once official support is added.

View solution in original post

criley
Employee Accredited

@jvwhit

Can you explain what "It's not supported at this stage" means exactly.  Since when does imaging software have to be so picky.

What this means is that it has not been tested by our QA teams. That's not to say it won't work, it just has not been tested yet.

That said, this is old information and this is fully supported now:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/VSR_18_SCL

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

It's not supported at this stage. The plan is to add support for this in SP1 for VSR 18.

This (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/VSR_18_SCL) will be updated once official support is added.

@criley

Thank you.   Any estimate of when 18 SP1 will be available?

Actual backups even work under Redstone 5 (Skip ahead builds), but you can't install those builds while VSR is installed, or you receive a GSOD (Inaccessable boot device).  But backups and restore work fine--at least on my X99 Raid build.

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

SP1 is planned for early July.

However, our engineering team are currently testing this build so we may be able to claim support before then - it depends what is found during testing.

@criley

Thanks for the info Chris.  I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it is disappointing that Veritas is not keeping up with the semi-annual Win 10 upgrades. It is to a point now that 3rd party software needs to be on the same upgrade cycle as Microsoft. Hopefully, the current version VSR 18.0 will test out positive and be supported.  Please keep us posted.   Thanks.

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

Quick update for you ..

I've been made aware that Microsoft have postponed the release due to some issues they have found. So, the latest build is currently not available for us (Veritas) to test with.

@criley

Thanks for the update Chris.  Please keep us posted with any changes to this situation.

Windows Skip Ahead Build 17661 finally fixed System Recory 18 GSOD.  Backup /recovery awalays worked, but had to uninstall VSR beffore update, then reinstall.

From 2003 to today, there have been only three backup programs I have trusted. 

1. Norton Ghost 2003

2. Symantec System Revovery 2013 R2

3. Macrium Reflect

The orhers a blank blanks. Tried that TODO thing, yes rebooted, but partitions were all sized wrong.

1,2,3 above have alway restored good and correct.

I want to purchase System recovery 2018, but have some concerns.

Can you explain what "It's not supported at this stage" means exactly.  Since when does imaging software have to be so picky,

I am currently using the older Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2, which is for Win 8.1.  Funny it still works great on Windows 10 1803, with a UEFI boot.

Do you mean to tell me that my older Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 works great on win 1803, but your modern 2018 product won't?

That is not very much confidence.

A crazy idea, just make the software make images like it is supposed to, instead of a "well this version" stuff.

Now a question, where do you buy a newer version, I see trial on the site, but no store or anywhere to purchase.

I want the newer version to be safe, but it needs to do it's job, which would include working with win 1803 and yes furture updates.

Funny My old Norton Ghost 2003 worked on everything over the years (Win 7 also) but of course not the new uefi (GPT) partitions.

Let's have a working product, not a (I'm scared it might not work on the new update from Windows.)

Bottom line if someone buys a 2018 version today, it should image anything for at least 10 to 12 years with no updates.

Ghost 2003 did.

In fact when I got 2003 I was actually buying ghost 9.0. But 2003 was included.  I never even used ghost 9.

I used 2003 at home and at the Trucking Co I worked for, I was main programmer and imaged the disk every 3 to 6 months.

Over the years, I did not need to update, or worry about if it would work on the new Windows XP3.  It did what it was supposed to, Image.

I have been doing this stuff since my Old Dbase 3 days, long before there was a Windows.

I miss the days where you did not need imaging software, I used to just "Zip" the whole drive in Windows 95.

Yes I was an enterprise java developer, ejb's, jsp, servlets. I do not like this new "have to update, renew, and all that modern junk. I like buying, and being "good to go" for many years.

Oh I once tryed that Acronis Tru Image. No way no how.  It install so much "junk" in the background. Imaging should be a very easy, simple thing like Ghost 2003 was.

I am guessing that your versions are like Symantec System Recovery, the interface. It was pretty easy to restore.

criley
Employee Accredited

@jvwhit

Can you explain what "It's not supported at this stage" means exactly.  Since when does imaging software have to be so picky.

What this means is that it has not been tested by our QA teams. That's not to say it won't work, it just has not been tested yet.

That said, this is old information and this is fully supported now:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/VSR_18_SCL