cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows does not start.

maabbas
Level 2

I am having the issue with Windows Server 2000, I restored the system with Ghost 2003, after restoring, Windows does not boot. I checked internet for solution and find several method to boot Windows,one method was to run Ghreboot which did not work, and then Gdisk which also not giving me any result, Its show only one Drive with one partition. will anyone help me out how I start windows. Please note that Computer hung up while the status bar show "Windows is Starting".

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4

maabbas
Level 2

Any help guys?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Windows Server 2000 is a very old Windows which will not be supported with any of the current version of Ghost or SSR or any other software.

I will suggest you to perform a "repair" using Windows Server 2000 CD after  performing the restore if you need the image of same OS.

maabbas
Level 2

Thanks TRaj for your reply, I understand the system is too old, This is our spiral freezer control, and software which control the freezer function is too expensive. my main goal is to retrive that software. Any suggetion?

Oscar358
Not applicable

I had a similar issue (i.e. Windows XP did not start after I restored partitions from NAS-device to the new hard drive after the old one broke down).

My problem was that the Hard Disk was setup to be used by the BIOS via the nowadays more common AHCI-driver (rather than the older plain ATA driver). Please note that you of course have to use the same setting in BIOS you have had when the image was taken. Widows XP is such an old operating system that it does not contain the AHCI driver in it ==> The boot fails as the computer does not have the driver to use the hard drive in the 1st place.

Later on I realized that the previous hard drive had a small FAT-partition in the beginning of the DellUtility/Drivers which should be loaded in the 1st place to enable older OS's like Windows XP to start.

I resolved the problem by purchasing Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite which contains Boot Manager software that contains the moders drivers like AHCI. Also the Boot Manager can be configured to automatically boot with a predefined OS found in some of the partitions on the hard drive - thus an ok solution. Of course the "correct" method in my case would have been to re-wipe the harddrive and install the Dell Drivers & Utility partition in the beginning and fix MRB to go there 1st before the C: (WinXP) partition.