cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 8.5 is very very very slow

markharper
Level 3
I have been trying to do a computer restore from a verified image saved on another server over the network (1gb) The restore has now been running for over 6 hours and seems to have frozen at 62% It is a domain controller that is being restore to new disks but the same computer. I feel that we have been TOTALLY MISLED in the performance and speed of this utility and am discusted that for £500 per server (we have 4 copies) it fails to do what windows backup can achieve in 30 mins and comes free.
Anybody else had problems with this?
3 REPLIES 3

Bakinup
Level 4
IF it's hung at 62% then itis most likely hung for good.
Different  Version  we are  using  was  8.0.2 I went to the node that was having issues and ran live update. a new version was installed (8.0.5)and the system backed up ok . This system has a raid 5 and a raid 1. The backed up disks were the raid 1 set. I restored one of these just to make sure it worked. If you are backing up over a network try without compression.  Test a backup and restore from time to time on a non critical box. This will help to understand the system as well as knowing it will work when you need it.  
Also this system is behind a firewall and the local MS firewall was turned on. I shut it off. So I don't know if that fixed it or the patch but you might try to see if there is something going on there.
Some of the issues I have had were network related. An Active directory policy can be a problem sometime??  

Without more detail I can't help much more than that

Good luck 

markharper
Level 3
Basically the backup image is stored on another domain controller on a network share. I did a clean install of windows on the new disks and loaded backup exec system recovery 8.5, did the online updates and re-registered the product. Did a restore my computer and then had to boot with the default CD. All was fine and I could map the network drive and the restore from that image. Worked very slowly but then hung at 62% after about 4 hours. Left it for another 2 hours and still no progression so cancelled and I am now starting again. This time I have saved the image to a externas USB disk. The main problem is that if this is the best that this expensive solution can offer it is just not up to the job on mission critical servers and computers. What is more that the boot CD image should really be more comprehensive. I doubt if the image has been changed since the first release. I am very dissapointed with the product and will not be rolling it out across the rest of the domain forest as I feel it is a total waste of money

mdougherty
Level 3
I'm not sure if you thought of a solution, but I noticed with many imaging programs that if you have the SATA operation in the bios set to ATA mode, it will slow down the process.  Even if your hard drive is setup for ATA mode, switch it back to AHCI for imaging.  I did this using Powerquest and it speeds up the process by a million times.