Purchased a official Symantec Backup and recovery 8.5 for Small Business Sever, and it works great! Tested backup and restore. Quick and Easy.
The only problem I have is that the granular online recovery for Exchange give me license issue:
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Granular Restore: This version of the software (Small Business Server edition) is not able to read images generated with BSER Server edition. Either create backup images with BSER SBS edition or upgrade this product to the Server version.
Anyone has a solution for this?
My plan is to use Symantec 8.5, and for backup will backup with SBS 2008 with built-in backup system as well.
I do haveother questions?
1) Will Symantec 8.5 SBS edition work with SBS 2011?
2) What advantages I have with SBS 2011 over freshly installed SBS 2008? Can I upgrade from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011?
Regards and Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I did resolve the problem --- system disk backup was setup to include an offsite backup to a WHS server, and lost access to that server causing Backup Exec run to fail with errors. The minute I restored access, Backup connection service started up and current Threatcon started the work again (nothing to do with the Internet, even it said it was)
I deleted the offsite backup option.
I upgraded to SBS 2011 and conducting a trial for Backup Exec Receovery 2010.
Here are some my questions:
1) downloaded version 184.108.40.206369 -- I tried to get latest update, but LIVEUPDATE finds nothing. Do we have a download of latest version?
2) when specifying granular restore of sharepoint, it states supports MS Sharepoint Services 2.0 or 3.0 or Sharepoint 2003 or 2007. SBS 2011 has Sharepoint 2010. Do I assume that this version doesn't backup Sharepoint correctly? Or can we get an update that supports 2010 as BER 2010 is suppose to be compatible.
Appreciate your insight.
1. Here is SP5 which is the latest SP for BESR 2010: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH193127. It requires a reboot.
2. SharePoint 2010 is not supported with BESR 2010 (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137684). You need to upgrade to SSR 2011 where it is supported (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157280).
Why would BER 2010 states to be compatible list, and not support sharepoint? Any idea why on receovery LIVE UPDATE not work.? May it is a trial? If you do a restore, will Sharepoint be corrupted?
I hear conflicts -- if you purchase BER 2010 you get a serial number. Will this work for your server and any hardware upgrades?
BESR 2010 says it supports SBS 2011 but there is no support for SharePoint 2010 - to get that you need to upgrade to SSR 2011.
I can't answer why there is no support for SharePoint 2010 when this is included with SBS 2011. In my mind, both or neither should be supported.
Anyway, I think SSR 2011 is your answer if you need support for SharePoint 2010.
You'll need to speak to our licensing team regarding your license-related question. I cannot help with that I'm afraid.