cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec system recovery points unavailable

Billy68
Level 3
i have discovered on one of my remote servers that the system recovery is displaying unavailable recovery points even though there present. as well as this the backup jobs have a blue question mark icon which i cant find a explanation for. having searched found a discusssion on this forum with instructions to delete history and schedule and recreate again. This did not work the first one off backup i created worked fine but the scheduled backups ran but then say unavailable. does any one know if there is going to be a update which resolves this,
the version i have is 8.0.4.30166
8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited
Where is your backup destinatio? Network share, NAS etc?

And when exactly did this problem start - did you update/upgrade BESR recently for example?

Billy68
Level 3
Hi Chris i am backing up the restore points to a NAS. the  problem started about 8 weeks ago, updates are carried out regulary so i am not sure after what update it started exactley this is not a upgrade it was bought as version 8 last june and had been working fine.the instructions i found on the forum site included deleting the job history and the job schedule and recreating the jobs. i created a one off job and then the recreated the schedule the one off job is fine shows up ok but the resheduled jobs ran but the problem of the unavailable recovery points happened again.

criley
Employee Accredited
This issue was fixed in 8.0.4 which you say you are already at.

If you backup to an alternate location (not NAS for example), does the problem go away?

LukeW
Level 4
I noticed images repoting as being sucessfully created, but then if you go to view the restore point there is nothing valid.

This has only happened a few times and is'nt really an issue but worth a mention. 

Billy68
Level 3
i currently dont have a alternative location to use but as a example i had a problem with the storage on the NAS at the weekend and the backup didnt complete so after fixing the space issue i selecteed the backup now option and it completes fine and shows up. the only problem i have is the scheduled backups they run fine and appear but the have this location unavailable and the blue question mark . its frustrating as they do backup i can browse them just i have this blue question mark and each time i open the progrram it has the pop up with recovery points unavailable. the fact they backup and can be seen from the program is fine im just a bit concerened that if they were required for a bare metal recovery that i may not be able to access as the BESR seems to think they are unavailabl..

stant0s
Level 2
Billy,

I have a very similar issue with BESR 8.5, whereby recovery points are stated as unavailable. If I restart the service on the server it is moaning about, the status updates and it shows that the recovery point is available. I have a feeling it's something to do with the way the clients report to the manager. It might be reporting whilst mid-image-backup, though I'm not sure. I would definitely try and restart the BESR service on the client to refresh teh status.

Tbh, 8.5 seems to be quite buggy with a number of things, and still havent had any updates. I'm not sure if they are known issues, or indeed an issue with the software at all, but they are really annoying! I have recovery points which are created in the shared folder but the software shows no sign, and states the back up was last completed a day prior. The event log shows that the scheduled recovery point had started, but gives no more info. after that...not even a failure. It's pretty minor, but it would be nice to have a weeks worth of backups without any hiccups.

Regards,

Steve

Billy68
Level 3
Thanks for the advice a deleted the points that were there and and restarted the services the new backups seem ok and are all available this seems which seems to have cleared up the problem for the moment. until this i had only minor problems with verion 8 how do you find version 8.5 as i was thinking of upgrading would it be better waiting as your comments were not very positive about it.

criley
Employee Accredited
You can evaluate 8.5 here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/family.jsp?familyid=backupexec