cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to apply sp4 for BESR2010

Linas
Level 6

Trying to resolve this known issue

“Description: Error EBAB03F1: Operation aborted.

Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.

Details: Operation aborted”

So Symantec came out with a Patch SP4

So I have been working with support for a month and a day waiting so some help

I started with a call to support to install the patch with support help we used Symantec Installation Manager and started the process we got several error messages I guess this is normal is starts the install before downloading the update and error out them after the download it retries and continues

Well I was closeing some backround windows and killed the upgrade so restated and erros products not istalled properly

Support called back and we did  repair and seemed ok

but now can not select products to upgrade ?

something wrong with font like there is no text

so the case got escalated to next level support and has deen there since started the case Feb 03 2012 next level support got involved Feb 27 2012 well not really the message I got is “ACTION:
researching possible causes of SIM display”

It is now March 8 2012 how much long??

This is a simple patch for known problem

Any body else have issues with Symantec Installation Manager

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Linas
Level 6

I was told no way to push the patch out

Because the system see’s the client installed and does not differentiate the version

So must uninstall and reinstall product witch means two reboots on each client

My users are going to love this

So a little over Six months to find out about the patch and have support resolve my issue

To fix the console and to find out how the patch works and how to deploy the patch

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Linas
Level 6

Ok they called after 2 hours troubleshooting we decided to uninstall Symantec Installation Manager and reinstall

After reboot still no text but it did popup a message that an update was required and this fixed Symantec Installation Manager and now we can read the text on the screen

Sadly unable to install the SP4 patch

It seems the download is failing

We cleaned out the Symantec Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris folder and no new msi files are in the folder?

Tech will call back after doing more research

Linas
Level 6

its tring to install to wrong location we found in the registy Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris

nice path its doubled?

we took out the double path and that broke everything

we put the double path back in and created the rest of folders in the doubled path and now its working

darn i spoke toooooo soooon

the install finished but now BESR2010MS is broken error out

Server Error in '/Altiris' Application.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /Altiris/Symantec.BackupSln.Web/SolutionHomePage/SolutionHomePage.aspx

i guess i will spend my monday on the phone with support

nice and easy pach wow

Linas
Level 6

To bad it broke BESR2010MS

Well this is what support is saying

This case is closed because the SP4 install was a Success and he opened a new case to address the broken BESR2010MS

Linas
Level 6

Well it seems the original problem came back Symantec Installation manager back to what it was no text in the window so case closed and case not resolved Symantec tech tried agene but gave up and sent me to Altiris Support

After playing phone tag for a day and a half they called this mourning and we started troubleshooting the issue

Well we uninstalled and reinstalled every way possible registry command prompt command line nothing worked it seems there are two instances of SIM installed and it wont let us uninstall and reinstall ?

So I emailed logs to Altiris and he is sending me to next level support not sure when they will call

Oh yes BESR2010MS still broken we can’t fix this until we fix SIM so I can’t backup my 250 desktops so this is getting pretty CRITICAL!

Linas
Level 6

One case they are waiting for me I guess when sim is fixed to call them

The other has been in the Queue since March 12

I got an error on a backup but con not do anything about it because the console is broken!

Linas
Level 6

Still waiting for support to call

i have Backups failing and can not do anything about it because the console is broken

Linas
Level 6

Ok ten days later on Mar 22 Altiris called he went in and just started deleting duplicate folders for SIM after I told him about the registry he went in and edited to remove the double folders he copied some files from his server and pasted to my server and fixed sim

Wile we were trouble shooting he found several folders missing for IIS

I asked about the SP4 patch but he stated he is only platform support and didn’t know anything about the product and so I called support a about the other case I had open and waited for support to call

Linas
Level 6

When support called we tried updating to the SP4 patch and it seemed to work using SIM

But then I guess my fault I asked how to up this new feature he told me we have to deploy to end points I asked how and he was not sure after being on hold he came back with some ideas we had to push the patch out we tried to run report to setup a filter  to update client with BESR installed and were getting SQL errors and he decided to get Altiris involved

Also I noticed end points not reporting in console he didn’t know how to proceed so I am back in the queue and waiting for help

Linas
Level 6

A tech called and it seems he started working on my issue with no prier knowledge of the case

So I updated him and he tried some things and confirmed the sql errors and rebuilt iis then he wanted me to check permissions on a bunch of folders I was not able to understand what it wanted me to do so I think the tech will come back and have me uninstall everything and reinstall we will see

Linas
Level 6

If they included one server license then I could backup the server before I called support to help me install a patch or change some settings so if thing went horribly wrong like they have ever since I got the product 4 years ago I could just restore and try agene

Instead of troubleshooting for two or three months and end up wiping the server and reinstalling and starting from scratch every time there is a patch or upgrade

Linas
Level 6

New tech called Apr 02 2012 because he got the case “re-assigned”

And it seems he is starting from scratch he needs to know what version of console I am running and asking about service packs

I told him this is a result of trying to install SP4 to resolve a known issue

And pointed me to some Symantec doc on permissions problem

I told him I couldn’t follow the Article and didn’t know how to do it.

Linas
Level 6

Aril 3 a new tech called and asked for some logs and also told me about the permission doc

I told him on two previous calls I told the tech I couldn’t follow the article and was not sure how to proceed

So I guess he thought he would try and we started on the first step and he gave up too?

Waiting for next call

Oh the tech article was http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH11521

Linas
Level 6

no info from support

still getting errors

Linas
Level 6

So I keep updateting the case hoping that support won’t forget about me

And now the tech wants to troubleshoot my duplicate job running error

Hello this is the whole reason I started this fiasco with the SP4 upgrade

And now when the console is and has been broken for 2 months he wants to help me now?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129983

Linas
Level 6

Support was suppose to call 04/09/1012 I waited be never got the call?

Linas
Level 6

I found other information on sp4 changes and a download for the file

How to apply to management server and push to clients?

When I see a patch like this it seems like its for a unmanaged client not for managed system

Linas
Level 6

I found out a couple days ago that this patch is only for the client managed or unmanaged
You can run the patch on clients or use the management server to push the update to the clients.
But after working with support for THREE months I still am not sure what happen on the client when the install is run do I need to reboot the client after install?
Well I am down to two clients left on the BESR2010MS solution and one more just got replaced with a laptop so I can test the one that just came out of service

Altiris support still has not called about fixing the console

Linas
Level 6

So if you think this SP4 patch will officially take the product out of Beta testing and now I can deploy in my environment I will try to deploy some more clients and do more testing

Still not satisfied as to the programs stability and reliability because of the errors on the console and lack of supports ability to fix these issues

Altiris still has not called they missed two scheduled calls?

Have not spoken with Altiris support since Apr 3, 2012

Linas
Level 6

1 Do we need to use the console to push this patch to clients

I need instruction do I just push to client or do I push sp4 to clients
we don’t need to run a report I can choose the clients manually

2 with this new patch upgrade on the console will new clients deployed get the new patch of will they need to be patched