cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to restore in VSR 16?

Riggzie
Level 4

I did a manual back up by booting on our custom vsrd and can backup just fine. I know on other test machines, I imaged up, then down.. and it worked. I implemented it and now someone was having an issue. I have replicated it and clueless of why..

so.. I imaged a machine up then powered it off.
Replaced hard drive
Bootup and imaged down

I cannot for the life of me get it to boot. Keeps saying no boot device, etc...

So I am missing a step.

There are 3 partitions... a 35mb dell utility, 7gb recovery and 34gb C: (labeled f in file)

I followed the user doc...

so i added all 3 back in but where im lost is which do I set as active? do I say restore disk signatures, make bootable, etc.

I have all 3 partitions listed and look ok.

This is NOT UEFI.. and new disk was set to MGT or whatever it is (sorry been doing this for 10h and im beat)

We have a critical system I need to get this working on and the drive is dying.

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie

It sounds as though you are doing a backup via the SRD (called a 'cold' backup), is that correct? If yes, any reason you are doing it that way?

If you can do a online backup (with Windows running), it will make life somewhat easier. You can then restore from backup using the system index file - this will ensure that all partitions are restored back and there is no need to provide options such as set active and so on. Details here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100001643.html.

Of course, it depends on the situation you are in as to whether or not you are able to perform a new backup at this time ..

i did a very lengthy reply and it didnt go. got a wep page error.. so will try and do again

We have machines provided by vendors, albeit we prefer to use our own; however, sometimes we cant. With that, we prefer to image the machine up as to have the vendor come out could be $5k-$10k for onsite visit.

So previously we had SSR 2011 setup on a custom boot thumb drive and it worked. Up and down.. no issues at all. In addition, we also (ok fine.. I - LOL) had SSR2011-MS setup and we used that as well. That was on Altiris CMS 7.1 Sp1. When we went to CMS 7.5, we went to SSR 2012-MS, then 7.6 hf7 to SSR 2012R2-MS BUT I never updated the thumb drive. It all worked. weird but worked.. SSR 2011 restored SSR 2012 R2 MS files...

I was able to cold image up and down from say.. lenovo to hp, hp to dell, dell to lenovo, every combo you could think of. Have it documented as well and it just WORKS and this was all COLD backup. So I have done this...

Recently I went to VSR 16 only on the thumb drive to start getting us over. During my tests, I was able to image a few machines up and down onto the same machine with same hard drive, etc. I could NOT get bare metal to work onto a different machine.. but more for me to learn. I did not test image up, replace drive and image down, to which is what I am trying to do now and I just cant figure it out.

I went in and...

diskpart> clean

partitions added in order:
Dell Utility - 35mb
Recovery Partition - 10gb
OS drive - 931gb

When I go to boot, it cant find a bootable device. Boot back up in VSRD and diskpart... detail partition shows stuff and says healthy...

tech support said to boot on VSRD and do bcdedit but I dont have that in my vsrd... so cant run the commands...

Before I screwed up and cleaned the original drive,  idid take a pic of partition layout.. so I am putting them back the same..

see attached

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie

So are you setting the recovery partition as active? If not, that is going to be a problem.

Also, your first screenshot shows that the OS partition is using drive letter F but the second one shows it with letter C. Something not right here ....

ok so clear one thing for me please..

since im booting from a VSRD... do drive letters matter? I figured VSRD will assign drive letters however it sees.. so OS drive can be anything at this point...

Yes it shows F: when I look in VSRD... but is supposed to be C:

I did a diskpart and it showed the recovery partition as C:..

agree this is not fun at this moment. hah..

im going to grab another test machine and image up and try. this one was a custom vendor box that had 3 partitions and I guess I need to try on our standard first knowing it only has 1 partition.

odly enough when  i was working with tech support, couldnt get bcdedit to work. not sure why it is working now but attached is a pic showing what both diskpart and bcdedit see.

they are calling me in 1h

ok so I took another machine - standard for us - and put it up on the bench. That is the issue. This machine is backing up the O/S drive as OSDisk_C_Drive.v2i and the one im having issues with is OSDisk_F_Drive.v2i...

so have to restore it, and figure out how to get the drive letter back to C instead of F..

so here is how all 3 paritions are setup. Reading it through the last page where you check reboot when finished..

Drive: DellUtility
Size:39mb
File System: Fat16
Bytes/sector:512
* Restore original disk signature

Drive: Recovery (C:)
Size:10.7gb
File System: NTFS
* Set drive active

Drive: OS (F:)
Size:921gb
File System: NTFS
* Restore master boot record

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie

As you are already working with support on this, I don't really want to duplicate the effort here. What is your case number?

Yes you can manually change the drive letter(s) after a restore but clearly that is not getting to the root of the problem here. It's not clear to me at the moment but what should the drive letter layout look like for this machine?

Support helped me out..

this was for a Legacy/MBR, 3 partition deal...

System Drive

Set drive active for OS boot, Restore MBR

C:\

Restore Original Disk Signature

Recovery Drive

No Option needs to be selected as this drive does not posses a drive letter.

Now following rules for UEFI and that isnt going... hopefully he will reply soon and advice will be there..

EFI

C:\

Restore Original Disk Signature

Recovery Drive

criley
Employee Accredited

@TeleFragger

If (and this is key) you are restoring from a online (with Windows running) backup, there should be no need to set any of these things manually. This is a common mistake and generally leads to symptoms such as Windows not booting up after restore.

The simplest way is to restore using the system index file, then everything is set for you by the software. Details here:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100001643.html

been a while.. forgot i posted this but correct - I am able to restore so much easier using that v2si file...

thanks!