cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrate a failing Server onto a new server with dissimilar hardware using Symantec System Recovery 2011 Server Edition.

Jose_S___Newark
Level 3

Hello All ,

I need to migrate a failing Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server with SP2 onto a new server. This Server is a primary Domain Controller with Active Directory and is running Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition, DNS and DHCP. I inherited a small shop with approximately 35 users. I have 2 other Domain Controllers in my environment. A SMS server running Windows Server 2003 and a database Server running Windows 2000 server (note: this server has a child relationship)

I perform daily system state backups using both Windows backup and Backup Exec 2010. I also perform full VSS backup and commands to stop and start exchange services prior to snapshot creation of images using Symantec System Recovery 2011 Server Edition.

I will be using Symantec System Recovery 2011 Server Edition with the dissimilar hardware function enabled to perform the migration. I used this product successfully in the past with 2 other servers.

I’m planning on shutting down all devices on my network, including the 2 other DCs, and perform the migration. Once I determine the primary DC is successfully restored and working I will bring it online and restart all network devices starting with the other DCs

I did a few off-line test runs. All services seems to be restored successfully and working.

I will appreciate it if anyone can give me any information I should be aware of before I perform the migration.

Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jose

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Out of my experience: You hit all critical points, nothing to add !

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you been able to run the migration ?

Jose_S___Newark
Level 3

Hi Markus,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did not perform the migration. I postponed it to complete other projects. I am planning on performing the migration on April 6, 2012. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Jose