Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

permissions missing after restoring the backup

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have below scenario.

i have scheduled the backup the for server A's D drive & C: drive (os installed)

now all the full and incremental are happening on A server .

now i removed this Server A from rack and install new OS on server B and movd this server into place of A

We now restored the D drive full data from A server to  B server D drive with 3 options checked while restoring

1. verify recovery point

2. copy the original signature of hard drive

now the permissions which are set previously on the particular folder. not coming after restoring .

why the permissions not coming ?

help needed...

14 REPLIES 14

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Are the permissions that are missing for local users of server A ?

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

for local users of server A , i think it will miss

but i m asking for domain users permissions.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm  never came across this, let me escalate this to support for you.

criley
Employee Accredited

So I assume server B is part of the same domain as server A?

What are you using for the restore of the drive D data? The recovery point browser?

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

yes the server B is part of same domain with same os 64 bit 2008,

restored the drive d using recovery point browser

criley
Employee Accredited

I can reproduce this here.

It seems there is an issue/limitation (yet to be decided) with the recovery point browser in that it does not restore the ACLs. The current workaround is to use the recovery disk (SRD). This workaround only helps if you are restoring the entire volume though.

In your situation, are you able to use the recovery disk for the restore?

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Morning chris, and thanks to you.

i restored the full D drive onto another servers Drive using only recovery point browser. and from recovery disk can i only restore the Server A's D drive onto another servers drive. here i am not sure it will help me.

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure I follow...

Can you explain why you cannot use the recovery disk to recover the volume in this scenario? I know it's only a workaround....

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

my concern is is it possible to use SRD to only restore particular d drive, because we have already installed OS on Server B,, created 4 partitions, on one of those we want to restore.

my concerns is when booting from SRD  will it show the option for restoring the only d drive without touching the OS installed C drive,

beacause i seen that when restoring full image first obvious thing is OS is restored, after that another drives are restored, this is as per rule. i know,

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can use the recovery disk to only restore one volume. This should work as long as you are careful about where you are restoring to.

criley
Employee Accredited

Another workaround that may work for you:

Mount the recovery point as a new volume in Windows and then use xcopy (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323007?wa=wsignin1.0) - this should allow you to retain the permissions.

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

actually what i did in my situation i restored the  full volume on using recovery point browser

and took the registry backup from, source server and restore on to new server and now permissions are coming properly..

but now yesterday night i again restoted the data using latest incremental recovery point using recovery point browser and this time it is taking so much time than previous recovery( 1st recovery was done within 3 hours and 2nd recovery still not done so in the morning we have to stop in production hours )

bad luck for me

criley
Employee Accredited

FYI - I have now escalated this issue so it can be investigated. Use the following as reference:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200023

sandys
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi chris thank you, but somehow we did not use symantec backup for it ,

we done this by using windows backup utility from windows 2008 server. we have to that because its was time being important task. so used windows backup utility.

anyway but you escalated this issue , i'l check here again once u get confirmed solution.

thanks once again.