cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Limit number of recovery points set saved" doesn't work

tlentlen
Level 2

Hi,

i'm trying to create a simple backup, wich backup everything, everyday but saves only 3 incremental files.

So i create a new backup, set the daily planning and set the "Limit number of recovery points set saved for this backup" to 3

I expect so to have 1 full backups and 3 incrementals from now on.

But as the day passes i have the 1 full backup and more than 3 small incremental (i'm at 8 right now).

So, how this option is supposed to work??

I'm using BESR 2010 9.0.2.37914

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So would you please mark this post as solved ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

This option limits only the number of full backup, so you will end up with 3 fullbackups AND all incrementals that  belong to this 3 full backups before the first full backup and its incremental backups will be deleted.

tlentlen
Level 2

I understand,

so the option label is misleading, because in the "Backup History" they are referred as "Recovery Points" INCLUDING the full backup.

That is, according to the option, looking at the history, i would expect to find 3 recovery points not 30, formed by 3 FULL backup.

Wrong name for the option.

So at last this option should change the name to "Limit number of baseline backup saved"

IMHO all this mechanism is rather pastiche and confused, and the best way would be what it say, that is to limit the number of "recovery points" not baseline backup, because i'll never have (or most rarely have) in a normal condition more than one full backup WITH incrementals.

Normally there is one baseline + incrementals, and if incrementals are used, is because there is necessity to track down filesystem changes in short points in time, so it's fundamental to decide how many incremental i want (because if i need to track down 10 minutes changes i can't end up with 70 incrementals).

In the contrary differential backup are used (now i say it, where is the differential method option??)

criley
Employee Accredited

A recovery point set is the full plus all incrementals.

What Markus was saying is correct apart from this statement:

'This option limits only the number of full backup'

Hope that helps to clarify.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So would you please mark this post as solved ?