cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovery size problem

dave221
Level 3

I backed up a 500 GB drive on my new Windows 10 desktop computer.  The backup contains 100 GB of data.  I am trying to restore the data to a laptop with a 150GB harddrive. 

However, I am getting this error message: "The selected destination is too small to hold the data."

I can restore on a file-by-file basis, but this is painfully slow.  I was able to successfully restore this data last month before I encrypted by desktop using bitlocker.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

@dave221 

Are you certain the backup only contains 100GB or is that the size of the backup file itself (.v2i)?

FYI - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100015861.html

thanks for your feedback.

I checked properties on the drive I backed up (source), and it shows 96 GB used and 453 GB free, for a total of 550 GB

The backup file has a size of 49 GB

The destinartion drive has a sixe of 151GB and I just did a quick format.

Based on the articele you referenced, it looks like I need 130GB on the destination drive: [550/16+96 = 130]

criley
Employee Accredited

@dave221 

Yes, agreed - there should be enough space for this to work.

Can you provide a screenshot of the error please? Can you also confirm exact version of VSR by checking the versions details in Help/About in the console (don't provide a screenshot as this area contains your license info).

Another way to restore this data is:

• Right-click on the v2i file and choose the mount option
  • This mounts the backup as a temporary volume in windows
  • You can now copy your data to new location
  • Right-click on temp volume and dismount when copy is complete

I'm trying your most recent suggestion now, and it seems to be working, although will take about 6 hours to complete.

Here's my version of Veritas System Recovery 16.0.2.56166

I've attached 2 files with the actual error.

Thanks

Here's one other screen shot (attached).  This one is more general than the other one.

FYI -- the time estimate to restore all of my files is "about 1 day," using the method suggested in your post.

This works, but is pretty slow.  Our data has a lot of small files, which seem to go slowly.

criley
Employee Accredited

@dave221 

It's just a file copy and it's well known that Windows file copies are slow if there are many small files. I don't see any way to speed this up I'm afaid.