Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore hard drives

n3m3sls
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

When i try restore the unit C in my PC the process is satisfactory but the unit D disappear, the data is lost, is necessary  the format for use this unit, my question is: Is necessary make the full backup to the unit C and D for the normal restore in my PC? 

i attach a image for your consideration
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abhishek_Sen
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hi ,

IF you are aware that SSR is a image based software where everything works on a sector level which reads the entire Table Allocation of the MBR or GPT and then takes the backups of the sector where data is written( by default). Same way , if you restore it will check first if the disk is unallocated and un-initialized since if there is data already written then it will try to search for free sectors for writting and this where cloning software ( Symantec GHOST) differs from SSR because GHOST works on overwriting way it does not care if the system is formatted or already in use it will simply deploy its image on top of the data already existing but SSR will always write best on a free or unwritten disk or formatted and empty disk. You can test with a physical disk which is having two partitions and want to restore only C partition . In that case normally the issue is in writing the over writing sectors within the same physical disk. If you check with the partinfo.txt file which gets created after running partinfo.exe located at

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Utility

You will get a better idea how SSR reads and gets a disk geometry. Let me know if you understood the concept.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes you should have a backup of both volumes C and D to restore the PC completely.

n3m3sls
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi, thanks for the answer, i have more questions about of this:

1) Why  SSR work this way? 
2) the product works this way in all existing operating systems?

thanks for yours comments

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I think I didn't t get the point in your question. So can you please explain and repharse your question again.

n3m3sls
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi 

ENG: basically I want to understand this: Why can not restore only the C drive without affecting the other units? thanks for your comments...

ESP:basicamente quiero entender esto: porque el producto no puede restaurar solo la unidad C sin afectar a las otras unidades? gracias por tus comentarios...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you anything installed on drive C: that requires data from drive D: then you need both drives.

Abhishek_Sen
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Hi ,

IF you are aware that SSR is a image based software where everything works on a sector level which reads the entire Table Allocation of the MBR or GPT and then takes the backups of the sector where data is written( by default). Same way , if you restore it will check first if the disk is unallocated and un-initialized since if there is data already written then it will try to search for free sectors for writting and this where cloning software ( Symantec GHOST) differs from SSR because GHOST works on overwriting way it does not care if the system is formatted or already in use it will simply deploy its image on top of the data already existing but SSR will always write best on a free or unwritten disk or formatted and empty disk. You can test with a physical disk which is having two partitions and want to restore only C partition . In that case normally the issue is in writing the over writing sectors within the same physical disk. If you check with the partinfo.txt file which gets created after running partinfo.exe located at

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Utility

You will get a better idea how SSR reads and gets a disk geometry. Let me know if you understood the concept.