cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restored image is not booting from the drive it was restored to

cindyf
Level 3
Because my c drive was too small, I restored an image to another drive on the test server. It seemed to restore ok, but I can't get it to boot to that drive (the f drive). How can I accomplish this? In one of my tests, it asked me if I wanted to make that drive the boot drive, but on this particular test it did not ask.
2 REPLIES 2

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Did to take the option to "set drive active (for OS booting)" on the options screen during the recovery prep portion?

Gilly 

marcogsp
Level 6
Just out of curiosity, was the original boot drive also the F: drive?  If not then there are some registry entries that point explicitly to the system folder location by drive letter.  If this changes then the bootstrap process will not be able to find the system files to complete the boot process.

In additon to Gary's suggestion, you can also select the restore drive signature option.  Restoring signatures for uncommon drive letters is what this option was designed for, but I use it even on the common ones.  The MBR may also need to be restored, usually to the first drive or diagnostic partition. 

If the drive signatures are correct, you can also recover from this without. doing a complete restore again.  Just boot into the recovery environment again, and open the partition table editor in the utilities section. If this is a multiple hard drive system, make sure the correct physical drive is chosen, Then in the boot column of the editor, put in the number 80 for the partiton that is to boot. This is usually the first partition, but not always. That should make the logical drive bootable again.