cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sv2i file not present on off site backup disks

John_Novotny
Level 3
I back up to a primary internal hard drive for my 1st backup, and then to two off site external hard drives setup through BESR 8.0.  I noticed that with the primary backup, there is a sv2i file that is always present, but it does not copy over to the off site external drives.  It is my understanding the the sv2i file is for indexing or identification of specific files or drives if you have to do a recovery.  Shouldn't this file not be automatically copied to the off site disks too?  Or do I not understand the function of the sv2i file?  It seems that in the event that my primary backup was not available or destroyed, etc., and I could not access the sv2i file from the primary disk, that would not be good.  Since the off site disks do not have the sv2i file, where would that leave me?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
We have seen in some cases where the *.Sv2i is not created to the Offsite storage location. The maintenance of recovery point images to the Offsite location is done by the agent by instruction of its History information; hence, corruption of the history file results in recovery point images not being properly removed. The *.PQH or history files located in the document and settings directory also directs the monitor disk space option when images files exceed a specified threshold.  Not having the *.SV2i file at the Offsite location simply means that restore by system file back to the original source machine would have to be done manually per each partition in the order in which they appeared on the drive. Till this is address and the *.SV2i file is made certain to be copied to the storage location, you may want to create a windows scheduler launched batch file to  copy from the primary storage location to the Offsite location manually. The function of the *.sv2i is primary use for more automation during a restore and is use to keep track as to what sort of imaging is to be performed (e.g. baseline or incremental).

John_Novotny
Level 3

David,

Thanks for your reply.  It looks like a patch may be forthcoming to address this issue.  I will try the batch file in the mean time.

John

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Still no update as of yet, customers interested in the feature should use the HELP | Send Feedback option expressing this and other enhancements they wish to see with the product. Secondly they can join the Symbeta team https://symbeta.symantec.com to offer suggestions as the product is being developed.

hvac
Not applicable
I would really need this update as well for faster recovery in virtual environments. Any updates yet??