cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec system recovery 2013 - offsite backup problems

shahar
Level 4

Hello,

We have a backup job for 2 different external drives. The regular backup is performed ok most of the times, but we have problems with the offsite copy:

We have 4 partitions to be backed up in our computer. 2 of them are backed up in this job, but the remaining 2 partitions haven't been backed up for the past 10 days. The regular backup works well for all the 4 partitions. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you ! So please mark this post as solved then !

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Is there an actual error message ?

shahar
Level 4

no error messages. according to the software the computer is backed up.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So how did you notice the problems then?

shahar
Level 4

Very simple. I don't have the appropriate files. every day, 4 backup files should be created, one for each partition. I have only two.

For instance: I have a file named: computer_name_C_Drive013 (for partition C), but I don't have the file: computer_name_D_Drive013 (for partition D).

criley
Employee Accredited

Have you checked in the console (Advanced --> Event Log) for errors?

shahar
Level 4

Hi,

I checked it, and I have several errors of this kind:

Error EC8F1F5B: Cannot create offsite copy for job Drive Backup of ...
 Error EC8F1F5D: Cannot create offsite copy ...
 Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file.
  Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The specified network name is no longer available.'
Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'Unspecified error.' (UMI:V-281-3215-8027)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

I've googled it, and as I see, some people say this problem is related to network issues. However, if this was the case, then I'd have no offsite copy at all.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thank you

criley
Employee Accredited

Correct, this sounds like a network type issue.

You mentioned earlier that backups for C are being copied to offsite location but backups for D are not. Is the D partition much bigger than C? If yes, this would explain why it only fails for D but works for C.

shahar
Level 4

No,this is not the case.  There is no correlation to the partition's size or the data's size.

However , I see that the 2 partitions which are still copied to the offsite copy now, are the partitions which were first copied when the offsie backup finished successfully for all the 4 partitions according to the event log. So, maybe it's a matter of a period of time which ran out.

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you saying the issue is resolved now??

shahar
Level 4

Actually, I didnt say that the problem is resolved, but somehow the last backup today was successful  (including the offsite copy). We can close this thread, but I still have no idea what caused this sort of problem (since such a problem may happen again in the future).

Thank you.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you ! So please mark this post as solved then !