cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec system recovery 2013 r2

frank_czech
Level 2

We are in the process of migrating from vmware to windows server 2019 hyper-v for a windows server 2012 r2.  We are trying to restore a backup of the windows server 2012 r2 using symantec system recovery 2013 r2 and we are able to restore the reserved partition and D drive.   When we restore the C drive the process gets to 99% and just stops.

We searched the internet for a solution with no  success.

thanks

Frank

3 REPLIES 3

frank_czech
Level 2

We tried using the virtual conversion and we were successful creating a VHD file  for each partition.  Then we created a hyper-v VM with the converted files and when we tried booting it, stayed at the blinking cursor on bootup.  

Is there something i need to do for the "new hardware" ?

thanks

akihiro1
Employee

Hi,

First, please see the Software compatibility list for SSR 2012 R2.

<SSR 2013 R2 Software compatibility list>
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/SR_2013R2_SCL

Officially SSR 2013 R2 does not support Windows 2019. You need to use VSR 21. VSR 21 supports both Windows 2019 and 2012 R2.

Apart from the official comments, you need to confirm whether UEFI-based system or BIOS-based system for Win 2012 R2. If it is a UEFI-based system, you need to create Gen2 virtual machine on Win 2019 Hyper-V. If it is BIOS-based system, you need to create Gen1 virtual machine on Win 2019 Hyper-V. After then, please try either 1 or 2 below.

1. Please try to restore Win 2012 R2 on Win 2019 Hyper-V using *.sv2i (selecting "System") on the SRD.

2. Please convert to virtual machine for VHD or VHDX. After conversion, please attach the converted VHD or VHDX for the VM that you created on Win 2019 Hyper-V.

Thanks,

that worked great.  I did the restore from a 2016 server and i was able to start the VM within hyper-v

thanks again

Frank