cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system recovery 2011 File and folder backup extremely slow

dales
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm having great issues with system recovery 2011, We have upgrade from BESR 7 on one server to take advantage of the advancements of bare metal recovery however backing up with this backup product seems nothing but a nightmare.

I've been able to create a system image of our C: drive OK but I cannot do the same for the data drive on D: I have increased the physical data drive to just over 1 TB but actual usage is hovering at around 280GB's. As besr7 created an image with just the used blocks of data in it I dont see why 2011 would not create a similar 280GB or whatever when its compressed system image of the new drive. However no matter what I try I get the error that there is not enough server storage after a few hours of the backup job running. I've tried reference the backup location (a 2k3 storage server) by name and IP and also have added the IRPstack entry into the registry as suggested by the KB but nothing is working.

So instead I've resorted to created a file and folder backup job for the whole of the D: drive. which I started at 1700 last night and it says its 9% through now (its nearly 1PM the next day). There must be something wrong surely for it to take this long to backup 28GB (~9%) of file and folder data in 20 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try to resolve this issue as I'm at the point of giving up and just backing up the data with ntbackup!!!

Kind Regards

Dale

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

File and Folder backups are not really designed for that amount of data so I would not recommend using it in your situation.

Can you confirm the exact error you are seeing when doing a full volume backup?

dales
Level 3

Hi thanks for the response the exact error message (from the event log) is as below.

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of Data (D:\).
    Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
        Error EBAB03F1: Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
    Error E7D10046: Unable to set file size.
        Error EBAB03F1: Not enough server storage is available to process this command. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

criley
Employee Accredited

It's likely that this is the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101

dales
Level 3

Thanks I've tried those and I still have the same problem, I've stopped using F&F backup on the data volume and for the time being am using ntbackup until I can get this reliably working and gone back to recovery point. 

I've created the backup job to backup both C and D in the same job, It does C ok then starts on D then after a random amount of time it'll stop working and throw up that error message. BESR7 worked fine for the data volume but we were having trouble doing a bare metal recovery of the system to a new server. Now the problem is the other way round in the new version. 

Very frustrating! 

Regards 

Dale 

criley
Employee Accredited

How big is C and how much free space is available?

Is it possible to try a backup of D with the local C drive as the destination (if you have enough space of course)? If you could do this, it will 'prove' if the problem is with the volume itself or with the network path.

If there is not enough free space on C, do you have a USB drive that you could plug in and use that as a temporary backup destination? Again, this is not a solution but just a troubleshooting step to try and narrow down where the problem is.

Finally, do you have a support contract with us? If yes, it might be an idea to get a case open so that this can be investigated in more detail.

Hope that helps.