cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the same GUID on two computers

markus_m1
Level 4

I have two computers with the same GUID in Altiris Agent.  So I deleted them from SSR-MS, then reset Guid (AeXAgentUtil.exe /resetguid), and then restart agent. But when I checked them it had again the same new GUID. 

So I've found on Altiris KB some script: 

'vbscript Change GUID then force client to update configuratin and send basic inventory
Dim WshShell 
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell" ) 
Dim TypeLib, sNewGuid 
Set TypeLib = CreateObject("Scriptlet.TypeLib" ) 
sNewGUID = TypeLib.Guid 
Set TypeLib = Nothing 
sNewGuid = left(sNewGUID, len(sNewGUID)-2) 
' wscript.echo " # Guid Generated " + sNewGuid 
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Altiris\Altiris Agent\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ" 
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Client Service\NSMachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ" 
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ" 
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ" 
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Computing Edge\Notification Server\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ" 

Dim client 
Set client=WScript.CreateObject ("Altiris.AeXNSClient" ) 
ignoreBlockouts=1 
sendIfUnchanged = 1 
client.SendBasicInventory sendIfUnchanged, ignoreBlockouts 
client.UpdatePolicies ignoreBlockouts

Probably it works well/better. Now in Resource Manager I see both computers. But when I click "Symantec System Recovery Details" in SSR-MS I have information that "The Symantec System Recovery configuration data is not available"  What to do with this?

13 REPLIES 13

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

For both machines or for only one?

markus_m1
Level 4

For both machine have the same error message: "The SSR configuration data is not available."

SSR2013.JPG

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, assign a new guid manually to one of the clients?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes , it's a DNS issue , also update the DNS , or what you can do is try to change the ip address of one of the machines and update DNS , it shall change the GUID.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Sorry how does this match? The GUID assigned by the altiris Agent and the IP adress and DNS Information? Please explain !

markus_m1
Level 4

These computers are out of domain.  DNS shouldn't have impact on that. 

I see that there two reason of this problem. After restart GUID I've lost configuration:

- Computer Client License,

- Computer Backup Destination,

- Computer Image Job.

In order to eliminate the lack of license I need to restart the job on the server (SSR-MS) and the services on client computer (in services.msc).

In order to eliminate the lack of Backup Destination and Image Job we need to wait for time when job is starting. 

Now it' ok. 

I still doesn't know how two clients computers have the same GUID. But it's common problem in SSR-MS I see because there are many articles.

I look once again into the article: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO6538 and found the link to article applies to Altiris 7.1 GUID clean up: 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212345  In this article there are more link to another script to detecting this problem and another script to prevent the GUID problem. 

I run the first one and find another problems in my system. I will run the script to delete this GUID problem and will observe the results.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Cool just keep us posted. Honestly I never came across this. Thanks for sharing your findings.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Same here , I  had come across one such issue and it was a DNS problem.

However from the articles it specifies to be an issue with Altiris. Altiris and System Recovery Management Solutuion are intact.

However , as said by Markus , thanks for sharing the articles and please do share the feedback on the functioning of SSR-MS after clean-up.

If you mark your solution as Solved after entering the same. This may help other customers get their issues resolved faster.

Thanks a ton!

markus_m1
Level 4

So the script that delete duplicate Guids make more changes that I expected. Of course it solve my first problem (with two clients computers) but also recreate one backup job. One of the problematic computers belongs to it. So now this backup policy start from begining (each machine create computerName_C_Drive001.v2i) I didn't lost older backup. So I hope this problem never againg occure becasue now I have to delete old backup files manually. Or maybe somebody have another greate script... devil

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So would you say your issue is resolved now?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes the backup policy started from fresh as you cleaned it up from Altiris. So after a clean the problem will not occur.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?