Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to restore backup to SSD using BESR 2010

brian_brotschi
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello All;

here is my situation. I have 2.5" SATA spinning disk (Seagate 320 GB ST9320423AS) which I would like to backup and then restore to a 2.5" SATA SSD disk (Intel 120GB SSDSC2CW120A3), basically performing a disk copy (the entire disk, all partitions).  I am backing up the Seagate drive to an external USB disk, and the creation of SymSOE_C_Drive.v2i appears to be created (12.8GB) without an error messages.

my source drive (the Seagate) is NTFS 3.1 formatted. I choose "Standard" compression, and select the "verify recovery point after creation" option. No other options are selected (e.g. Max file size = none, Disable Smart Sector copying = none, Ignore bad sector during copying = none, Use password = none, Encryption = none). 

The error message which I receive, when attempting to "restore" the backup to the SSD disk drive is the following.

Error EA3905FA: Zero reference count

I have tried to enable / disable various "restore" setting none of which have had a positive impact on the restore action.

Any help or alternative approaches would be appreciated.

brianb

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which SP of BESR 2010 are you running on ?

Mahesh_Nayak
Level 4
Employee Certified

would recommend you to unplug the USB drive with Backup images and  attempt recommendations on http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56856 , then try a restore 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you had any success ?

brian_brotschi
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Mahesh;

thanks for the guidance. Unfortunately, I will not be able to try this approach, due to the being physically remote from the equipment. I will resume my attempts in early Aug.

kindest regards

brianb