cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

win2003 SBS recovery from total hardware loss

wskibum
Level 2

I had a 2003 SBS box using BE 2011 with a 2TB USB drive attached for backups.  The box is a total loss but the USB drive with the backups is fine.

I rebuilt the server with CD's and applied all patches and service packs.  Installed Recovery 2011.

How do I get it to catalog all the backups on the new USB "E" drive?

When I put the box in AD recovery mode, Recovery will not start in "recovery mode"

I have changed the service properties to local account but that didn't help.

Should I try installing a newer version of Backup Exec?

No email working right now, any help would be GREAT!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wskibum
Level 2

The Active Directory services were corrupt on the original server which is why I was trying  to run Recovery in safe mode to repair the Sytem State.
The solution for me was to take a blank system and boot it on the recovery CD, then do a full system restore.  I was able to run a incremental recovery of the mail after booting the box up and ony lost 1/2 days mail.

I called Veritas support to get some help getting a copy of the recovery ISO, they were EXTREMELY helpful (I give this guy a 10) and I was was on my way in just a few minutes.

So yes, this issue is resolved.  Would have been much less painful if the product would run in safe mode.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is the Backup Exec forum and you are using System Recovery which is not BE.

I have moved this discussion to the correct forum.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Are you really using System Recovery???

criley
Employee Accredited

I rebuilt the server with CD's and applied all patches and service packs.  Installed Recovery 2011.

I think you have missed the point of System Recovery. The idea is that you can restore the entire server (assuming that is what you backed up of course) - there should be no need to manually rebuild the operating system.

How do I get it to catalog all the backups on the new USB "E" drive?

There is no need to 'catalog' the backups, they can still be restored. If System Recovery is now installed, just browse to the backup files in windows explorer, then double click the v2i file you need. This will open up the backup into the Recovery Point Browser - from here you can restore files/folders. Or you can right-click the v2i file and choose to mount it as a temporary volume - you can then copy the data you need..

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please update!

wskibum
Level 2

The Active Directory services were corrupt on the original server which is why I was trying  to run Recovery in safe mode to repair the Sytem State.
The solution for me was to take a blank system and boot it on the recovery CD, then do a full system restore.  I was able to run a incremental recovery of the mail after booting the box up and ony lost 1/2 days mail.

I called Veritas support to get some help getting a copy of the recovery ISO, they were EXTREMELY helpful (I give this guy a 10) and I was was on my way in just a few minutes.

So yes, this issue is resolved.  Would have been much less painful if the product would run in safe mode.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Glad to hear. So may I kindly ask you to mark this post as solved?