cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Session timeouts

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

Is it really necessary for VOX to sign me out after X minutes. I'm connected to it the entire day.

Gets a bit annoying to go to that login page each time to sign in again......

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6

I have also complained bitterly about this in reply to pkh's post over here:

Must login each time I post something 

So far our requests have fallen on deaf ears.....

I used to stay logged on for MONTHS on my phone, laptop and tablet on Connect.

The session timeout is not really encouraging anyone to contribute on a regular basis.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I agree that this new timeout is VERY annoying.  It makes it impossible to quickly check in and see if there are any new threads that need attention.

I believe/assume that there used to be a 24 hour timeout, as I had to sign in every Monday morning, but then I would stay logged in for the rest of the work week.

Marianne
Level 6

I am pretty sure that the session timeout is now also annoying users to such an extent that they don't bother to come back for feedback or to close off posts.....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK this is becoming an issue and making posting a big problem. If I am idle for any length of time I need to relog on.

I am also now getting authentication issues (didn't get it yesterday, but today is the random day to start this all over again!!!) as well as a prompt to log onto the UAT site (...???????)...

Is this going to be addressed?

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and I see now that the post went through in spite of the authorization issue...becoming a bit frustrating!

Will_Restore
Level 6

Few user-unfriendly features on this new site & the session timeout is one of the worst!

rkingsland
Level 5

I had increased the time-out from the default 30 minutes to 2 hours, but it seems it's still not long enough. What would be a decent amount of time? For security reasons I didn't think it would be good to have it too long.

Marianne
Level 6

What kind of 'security reasons' Ryan?

I used to stay logged on to Symantec and Veritas Connect for MONTHS. 
Really.
On my laptop, my phone, tablet.
Pretty much like on other social media - LinkedIn, FaceBook, Twitter, etc...
And hotmail. And Gmail. Google+.

48 hours should be fine. 
Or never. As long as cookies are enabled we should not be logged out.

Constant session timeouts make me feel unwelcome.

I bet you that others feel exactly the same.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

IMHO, 2 hours is still too short.  I suggest 12 hours as a minimum (but I prefer 24 hours), so that we can at least get through a business day with a single sign on.

I agree with Marianne asking "what security"?  This is a user forum for chat, not a banking session.  If an individual user on a shared computer is concerned about security, then they should know how to log off, but don't ruin it for the rest of us.

For some reason Lithium has a 200 minute maximum for this setting. I've opened up a ticket with Lithium to see if we can override this limitation.