cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Resiliency Group "Start" operation: is It needed to stop production operation?

mauog_
Level 3

Reading the docs I can understand that after you create a resiliency group you need to start it if you want that VRP starts tracking the resource.

During the starting process VRP tries to register the resource in the vcenter that means it cannot be already there to complete correctly the process.

Does it mean that I have to deregister, and therefore stop the production service,  all the VM involved after to have created a resiliecy group? It looks a littel bit awkward...

What I didn't get correctly?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Walter_Heim
Level 3

Hi Mauog_

There are 2 types of start.  The normal start will simple power on the resource (VM) used by the resiliency group. 

Or if you check "refresh compute", then it will try to re-register the VM to the virtualization host prior to starting.  This process will validate the VM is present and update it if it's settings do not match what VRP has for it and if the VM isn't present, then it will register the VM with the settings that VRP has for the VM.

So to answer your question, no you do not need to deregister the VM to use the start operation even when refreshing the compute.

Regards,

Wally

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Walter_Heim
Level 3

Hi Mauog_

There are 2 types of start.  The normal start will simple power on the resource (VM) used by the resiliency group. 

Or if you check "refresh compute", then it will try to re-register the VM to the virtualization host prior to starting.  This process will validate the VM is present and update it if it's settings do not match what VRP has for it and if the VM isn't present, then it will register the VM with the settings that VRP has for the VM.

So to answer your question, no you do not need to deregister the VM to use the start operation even when refreshing the compute.

Regards,

Wally

It took some time to find that little tick!

Thanks for your help.