Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Cloud Mobility

Bachchan
Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I have few questions on Veritas Cloud Mobility:

1. If I am not wrong Veritas Cloud Mobility is same as VRP the only exception being Cloud Mobility is one time migration & VRP can be used to move data from on prem to cloud/DR site any no of time. Correct?

2. If I have 2 linux servers(physical boxes). A hyper V server with 4 VMs and a Vmware server with 5 VMs. what Licenses will be needed for Veritas Cloud Mobility and Veritas Resiliency Platform?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

1. Yes, correct.

2. The type of license (VRM or CM) would depend on your use case. As for the numbers, you'll need as many VRP Physical core licenses as there are cores in your physical linux servers (replication for these would be handled by your supported third party replication e.g. SRDF, REcoverPoint, etc. You'll need 9 VRP VM licenses for the HyperV and VMware guests. Then, depending on how you'll replicate the virtual machine data you might need VRP Data Mover per GB license as well.

View solution in original post

Hello Riaan,

If I want to move my servers to Azure/AWS using CloudMobility and considering same option which I outlined above.

Q1.To replicate data which is based on GB do I need to deploy VRP Data Mover appliance both on Prem & Azure?

Q2. If thats the case how to justify cost when I can replicate windows/linux machine to Azure and it cost $30 per node Phy/Virtual?

CliffordB
Level 4
Employee

Just some clarification on your orignial question:

Today (this will probably change in the future but no committed timeline), CloudMobility (VRP) only supports VMware and hyper-V when moving worklloads to/from public clouds.  No physical support today.

All architecture requiremets can be found in the user docs on https://sort.veritas.com .

In general, you must have at least one brain (Resiliency Manager - RM), one worker bee (Infrastruture Manager - IMS) and one datamover (Gateway - GW) on prem and the same in the public cloud.  You need at least one GW per hypervisor type on-prem.   For your use case, that means standing up two RMs, two IMSs, and at least two (or three if you want both VMware and hyperV) GWs.

To answer your second question regarding CloudMobility vs cloud-native solution: 

If you only need to move one or two workloads, have the time and skill to micro-mangage the process, and understand all the underpinnings of your target, then go ahead with the native solution.  If you need an enterprise solution (automation, risk management, visibilty, scale) where dozens or hundreds need to be moved, in a repeatable and risk free fashion, then CloudMobility.

Full disclosure: It is my job to speak to customers about this exact use case.  Many customers have used the cloud native solution to test out the viability of workloads (performance, resilience, managablility, cost) in a public cloud, but they would rather have an enterprise solution when it comes to moving production workloads.  This is what my customers tell me.

Let me know if you need futher details!

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

1. Yes, correct.

2. The type of license (VRM or CM) would depend on your use case. As for the numbers, you'll need as many VRP Physical core licenses as there are cores in your physical linux servers (replication for these would be handled by your supported third party replication e.g. SRDF, REcoverPoint, etc. You'll need 9 VRP VM licenses for the HyperV and VMware guests. Then, depending on how you'll replicate the virtual machine data you might need VRP Data Mover per GB license as well.

Hello Riaan,

If I want to move my servers to Azure/AWS using CloudMobility and considering same option which I outlined above.

Q1.To replicate data which is based on GB do I need to deploy VRP Data Mover appliance both on Prem & Azure?

Q2. If thats the case how to justify cost when I can replicate windows/linux machine to Azure and it cost $30 per node Phy/Virtual?

CliffordB
Level 4
Employee

Just some clarification on your orignial question:

Today (this will probably change in the future but no committed timeline), CloudMobility (VRP) only supports VMware and hyper-V when moving worklloads to/from public clouds.  No physical support today.

All architecture requiremets can be found in the user docs on https://sort.veritas.com .

In general, you must have at least one brain (Resiliency Manager - RM), one worker bee (Infrastruture Manager - IMS) and one datamover (Gateway - GW) on prem and the same in the public cloud.  You need at least one GW per hypervisor type on-prem.   For your use case, that means standing up two RMs, two IMSs, and at least two (or three if you want both VMware and hyperV) GWs.

To answer your second question regarding CloudMobility vs cloud-native solution: 

If you only need to move one or two workloads, have the time and skill to micro-mangage the process, and understand all the underpinnings of your target, then go ahead with the native solution.  If you need an enterprise solution (automation, risk management, visibilty, scale) where dozens or hundreds need to be moved, in a repeatable and risk free fashion, then CloudMobility.

Full disclosure: It is my job to speak to customers about this exact use case.  Many customers have used the cloud native solution to test out the viability of workloads (performance, resilience, managablility, cost) in a public cloud, but they would rather have an enterprise solution when it comes to moving production workloads.  This is what my customers tell me.

Let me know if you need futher details!

Cheers

Appreciate you reply.

Just confirmation on the license need?

Scenario1 - 2 windows physical servers on prem ,1 Linux Physical server with 2 cores, 1 Hyper V serber with 2 VM , 1 Esxi server with 3 VM. Want to replicate to Azure. What VRP license will need?

Scenario 2 - Kepping everything same want tpo replicate to AWS. What license I will need?

Scenario 3 - Kepping everything same. Want to replicate to my DR site. What License will I need?

Thx in Advance