Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bulk transfer?? block size??

smileagain
Level 4
Partner

About bulk transfer with secondary logging

To effectively use network bandwidth for replication, data is replicated to a disaster recovery (DR) site in bulk at 256 KB. This bulk data transfer reduces VVR CPU overhead and increases the overall replication throughput. With compression enabled, bulk data transfer improves the compression ratio and reduces the primary side CPU usage.

question

1.Smaller than 256k did before?

2.Did you send compressed 256k?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

I didn't find the relevant documentation to provde that smaller than 256k was done before but the way new feature of 6.1 is explained that now the writes are batched untill they reach 256k which I would assume that previously the writes were of any size & sent in some format like 4k or 8k.

Yes, as per release notes for 6.1, now the data is compressed. From 6.1 release notes

VVR replication performance improvements using bulk transfer

To effectively use network bandwidth for replication, data is replicated to a disaster
recovery (DR) site in bulk at 256 KB. This bulk data transfer reduces Volume
Replicator (VVR) CPU overhead and increases the overall replication throughput.
With compression enabled, bulk data transfer improves the compression ratio and
reduces the primary side CPU usage. Bulk data transfer is not supported with bunker
replication, and in cross-platform replication

This was also suggested in your another post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/storage-foundation-61-new-feature

G

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

I didn't find the relevant documentation to provde that smaller than 256k was done before but the way new feature of 6.1 is explained that now the writes are batched untill they reach 256k which I would assume that previously the writes were of any size & sent in some format like 4k or 8k.

Yes, as per release notes for 6.1, now the data is compressed. From 6.1 release notes

VVR replication performance improvements using bulk transfer

To effectively use network bandwidth for replication, data is replicated to a disaster
recovery (DR) site in bulk at 256 KB. This bulk data transfer reduces Volume
Replicator (VVR) CPU overhead and increases the overall replication throughput.
With compression enabled, bulk data transfer improves the compression ratio and
reduces the primary side CPU usage. Bulk data transfer is not supported with bunker
replication, and in cross-platform replication

This was also suggested in your another post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/storage-foundation-61-new-feature

G