cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protocol used by Clearwell

nitlsu
Level 2

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question. My organization is considering Symantec Clearwell for E-Discovery in our Microsoft Exchange 2010 environment. According to the Symantec representative it uses IMAP to access Exchange mailboxes and search them. However I find that difficult to believe since there are more efficient ways to do this like EWS or even MAPI. I read the public documentation but cannot get a definitive answer.

Can someone confirm what protocol/method does Clearwell use to access and search the Exchange databases for E-Discovery purposes?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JimmyClearwell
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello nitlsu,

Yes. Clearwell does utilize MAPI for performing Local and BPOS Exchange Collections. MAPI is also utilized for other modules, e.g. Processing, Analysis & Review, in Clearwell as well.

I hope that helps answer your questions. For more info about Exchange Collections, refer to the Local and BPOS Exchange sections listed in our Symantec Clearwell Identification and Collection Guide.

Best Regards,
James Harris
Business Critical Engineer Veritas eDiscovery Platform
Business Critical Services
Veritas Technologies LLC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner
I know it does not use IMAP since I use Clearwell and we don't allow IMAP access to our Exchange mailboxes. I'm pretty sure it uses MAPI and not EWS in the current version.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It uses MAPI.

Edit : I don't have expereince with clearewell but I have worked on EV CA|DA . So based on the following doc I can say it uses MAPI for sure  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO84054

JimmyClearwell
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello nitlsu,

Yes. Clearwell does utilize MAPI for performing Local and BPOS Exchange Collections. MAPI is also utilized for other modules, e.g. Processing, Analysis & Review, in Clearwell as well.

I hope that helps answer your questions. For more info about Exchange Collections, refer to the Local and BPOS Exchange sections listed in our Symantec Clearwell Identification and Collection Guide.

Best Regards,
James Harris
Business Critical Engineer Veritas eDiscovery Platform
Business Critical Services
Veritas Technologies LLC