cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Exchange throttling policies for Clearwell service account

nitlsu
Level 2

Excuse my lack of complete understanding of Clearwell as I am an Exchange person who's being tasked with implementing Clearwell in our environment.

So I now know Clearwell uses MAPI to query and collect data from the stores. I also understand the rights that the service account requires. I had a couple of questions,

1. Does the service account have to be only an AD account or does it need to be mailbox-enabled? In the sense does it require a mailbox in the Exchange environment?

2. Our concern with Clearell is primarily around the performance impact it might cause in our production Exchange 2010 environment. We are obviously going to be testing it a lot but I wanted to know if the Symantec staff has seen anyone use client throttling policies against the Clearwell service account? The throttling policies impose limits on how much resources that particular mailbox can consume in Exchange.

We were considering setting some throttling policies specifically for the Clearwell service account mailbox.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you will want to refer to the Local Domain Exchange Setup  section of the Symantec Clearwell Identification and Collection Guide.  It will list the requirements for you.

Personally, I would not recommend throttling policies.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you will want to refer to the Local Domain Exchange Setup  section of the Symantec Clearwell Identification and Collection Guide.  It will list the requirements for you.

Personally, I would not recommend throttling policies.

moorrees
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Why would you need throttling policies in the first place ? Is your exchange environment already under heavy load ?

Clearwell only connect as a single instance, so it shouldn't be to resource consuming.

You could always ask if collection will be done with care and maybe not during business hours ? doyou already know in what way the want to use it? will you perform search queries across the total population and across all mail? 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Clearwell acts in the same manner as a user connecting to a mailbox without cache mode enabled.

The affect on the exchange environment is very minimal there is no need for throttling