cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2008 R2 being EOL'd January 2020 - paths to upgrade current Clearwell servers in the wild?

ryonlane
Level 2

Hi everyone -

IHAC who has proactively inquired about paths to upgrade Windows servers currently running Windows 2008 R2.

With Win2K8R2 being EOL'd Jan. 2020, has Windows 2012 been approved as a supported OS?

Thank you,
Ryon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JimmyClearwell
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi @ryonlane @AndrewB ,

I wanted to come back to this thread to let you know that as of the eDiscovery Platform 9.5 release on March 30, 2020 https://vox.veritas.com/t5/eDiscovery-Platform/eDiscovery-Platform-9-5-General-Availability/m-p/8773..., support for Windows 2016 is now available and Windows 2008 R2 has been deprecated. 

Support for Windows Server 2016

• Provides the ability to install eDiscovery Platform on Windows Server 2016 Standard or Data Center Editions.
  • Windows Server 2012 Standard or Data Center Editions will also continue to be supported platforms.

Deprecated Features

While there are several features and options that eDiscovery Platform 9.5 is deprecating, the major option is that Windows 2008 R2 is no longer a supported install platform.

Best Regards,
James Harris
Business Critical Engineer Veritas eDiscovery Platform
Business Critical Services
Veritas Technologies LLC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JimmyClearwell
Level 5

Hi @ryonlane,

Windows 2012 R2 (Standard or Data Center edition) has been supported since version 8.1.1.

Did you mean Windows 2016 possibly? If so, it's on the more immediate roadmap, but not sure exactly when and how.

Best Regards,
James Harris
Veritas Technologies LLC

Hey Jimmy -

Thanks for your reply. Yes, good catch - I meant Win2K16. Would you please update this thread when Windows 2016 is supported or when there's a commited date to do so?

Thanks,
Ryon

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'm hoping for this in version 9.2

Hey Jimmy -

Any update on Windows Server 2016 compatibility with v9.X?

IHAC who is asking. Thanks!

/// @JimmyClearwell

JimmyClearwell
Level 5

Hi @ryonlane,

Thank you for your follow up. Wish I had an update for you Robot Frustrated

9.1 is the lastest minor release in the 9.x series, so it's possible that Windows 2016+ support could come in the next minor release which would be 9.2 or a major release.

For now, I'm suggesting to my customers on Windows 2008 who're asking the same, that they at least get upgraded to Windows 2012 to avoid the Microsoft EOL deadline and be prepared for 2008 to be depreciated in any upcoming eDP releases. 

Keep checking back though.    

Best Regards,
James Harris
Veritas Technologies LLC

AndrewB

Ryon, Veritas came out with a new Clearwell Appliance and it's shipping with Windows 2012 R2 Standard. I don't know if that means 2016 support with 9.2 is delayed or what but I thought you'd like to know.

AayushJain
Level 2
Employee

All, we might not done with the certification until Q3 CY 2020 so we are thinking of certifying on Windows Server 2019R2 instead. Wanted to get your input on this and if your institutions are going to allow deployment of Windows 2019 by that time?

AndrewB

based on my customers' feedback, dont skip 2016. if you have any further updates, we'd love to know.

JimmyClearwell
Level 5

Hi @ryonlane @AndrewB ,

I wanted to come back to this thread to let you know that as of the eDiscovery Platform 9.5 release on March 30, 2020 https://vox.veritas.com/t5/eDiscovery-Platform/eDiscovery-Platform-9-5-General-Availability/m-p/8773..., support for Windows 2016 is now available and Windows 2008 R2 has been deprecated. 

Support for Windows Server 2016

• Provides the ability to install eDiscovery Platform on Windows Server 2016 Standard or Data Center Editions.
  • Windows Server 2012 Standard or Data Center Editions will also continue to be supported platforms.

Deprecated Features

While there are several features and options that eDiscovery Platform 9.5 is deprecating, the major option is that Windows 2008 R2 is no longer a supported install platform.

Best Regards,
James Harris
Veritas Technologies LLC