I've been trying to process psts through adding a case file source and evey time I get the following:
"Discovery scan failed", and the reason is "discovery failed as cpu stats could not be gathered"
I've checked each pst for errors by using scan.pst and fixed any errors. I've also opened them using outlook which works. I've even tried to process different psts and I get the same thing. Nothing has been changed with clearwell so unsure as to what to do next. Any ideas?
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I've already tried that and it made no difference. I tried again this morning to check and still the same thing.
I should mention that we are using v7.1.5 with chf4 installed
Just gone through the logs and these are the two errors I see:
2017-02-23 09:46:38,083 WARN [resource.cpu.CpuEventManager] (pool-1-thread-1:) [#71000] Admin Services Error : Unable to get CPU statistics - No CPU information
2017-02-23 09:46:38,083 WARN [resource.cpu.CpuEventManager] (pool-1-thread-1:) [#71000] Admin Services Error : Too Many Errors - will reduce error report frequency. - No CPU information
If that's all you're seeing and you've already tried that technote, would recommend creating a support case. We (support) would have to try piece together what is going on - to do that we'd need a logset.