cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 3600 R2 appliance defaut gateway

michadar5
Level 4

Hallo,

I got my first Backup Exec 3600 appliance for configuration and i wandered what interface is used for backup?

Is default gateway for management interface (ehh0) set up separatelly from default gateway for backup (for example eth1)?

or management interface is without default gateway? 

how can I use in practice the rest of the interfaces?

thank you in advance

michadar5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

prytzen
Level 4

michadar5

eth0 is the default management port and should only be used in the set up of the appliance. Once the appliance has gone through the initial configuration process and you have assigned an IP address to one ofthe left over network interfaces, ETH0 should not be used. 

You can use the remaining three interfaces ETH1-3 as you wish. They can be on different VLANs or they can be members of a SAN network if you wish as well. 

When you configure your backup jobs, there is a setting that you can choose which interface to use for that backup job. By default it will just chose any interface. If you have a server on a specific network and always want it to be backed up over that network then you have to put one of the interfaces from the appliance in that network and then define the job to use that interface always. 

Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

prytzen
Level 4

michadar5

eth0 is the default management port and should only be used in the set up of the appliance. Once the appliance has gone through the initial configuration process and you have assigned an IP address to one ofthe left over network interfaces, ETH0 should not be used. 

You can use the remaining three interfaces ETH1-3 as you wish. They can be on different VLANs or they can be members of a SAN network if you wish as well. 

When you configure your backup jobs, there is a setting that you can choose which interface to use for that backup job. By default it will just chose any interface. If you have a server on a specific network and always want it to be backed up over that network then you have to put one of the interfaces from the appliance in that network and then define the job to use that interface always. 

Hope that helps. 

michadar5
Level 4

Thank you very much for your answer.

So, as I understand it, can I have every interface in another Vlan with gateway specified for that Vlan?

prytzen
Level 4

YEs. Or you can have one interface in a single VLAN that is able to be routed (through a router or multi-layer switch) to the other vlans. It is up to you how you want it set up. 

For me i have things set up all on one interface pulling things from multiple vlans through a router since i do not have that much data, but if it becomes too much for one interface i can split it up. Or set up an out of band network for backups only.