cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xe000feba - An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem.

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Hi,

I backup my MS Exchange 2007 datastores from a remote server, but until recently they fail with this error. This has occured since we nearly filled the C drive on our Exchange server and had to move some mailboxes.

I moved all the mailboxes to a new Store on an External HDD, deleted the old store, recreated with same names/location and started to move mailboxes back (aim was to get rid of the whitespace).

Now when I try and run the backups I get this error every time. I have created a new backup job and tried by making the selection through the folder structure and just typing in the location. No luck. 

We are using Backup Exac 2010 r3 with a 2010 remote agent on the Exchange Server. It's always been fine until I started moving things about in Exchange.

Please someone help. Thanks.

Job ended: 18 March 2014 at 10:58:09
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000feba - An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Verify- <server.domain> Unable to attach to \\<server.domain>\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group. V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. 
Note: Click 'Edit Selection List...' to display the View Selection Details tab of the job's selection list. Select the entry with the server that no longer exists and click Delete to remove it.
16 REPLIES 16

MorkSherwood
Level 3

By the way I've checked the settings in the remote agent and they look ok. Seeing as it always worked before it should be ok anyway.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Please check if the remote agent on the exchange server is at the same level with that on the backup server.

Check if there are any pending hotfixes which needs to be installed on the BE server by running live update, if yes, install them and push out these hotfixes to the remote agent on the exchange server, reboot if you are prompted to during your down time.

Recreate a backup and select the entire 'Information Store' and run the backup and check the result.

The remote agent on the exchange server can be uninstalled and reinstalled to check if that helps as well.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Check http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56435 and see if it helps

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all of your suggestions already, apart from reinstalling the agent, so I'll try that now and keep everything crossed.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

BE 2010 R3 is updated to SP4?

Here is the link to apply it if it is not

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208828

The update needs to be pushed out to the remote server as well 

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Hello again. No luck as of yet.

I've updated Backup Exec to SP4 and any hotfixes, reinstalled the agent on the Exchange Server and recreated the backup again with the whole MS Information Store as well as just a couple of the storage areas. The job is still failling with the same error about 2mins into the job.

I'm running out of things to try and everything I read talks about Linux etc. Hmm...

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Have you tried adding the ip address and host name of the remote server to the Host file on the media server?

Also check if port 10000 is being used by any other application. It is the default NDMP port. If it is being used by any other application please check this : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24410

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Hi,

Yes, if I go onto the Exchange Server and open the remote agent I can see there are 3 enties all pointing to the media server. <servername> , <servername.domain> and the IP address.

I've also checked process IDs and nothing is using process 10000.

What needs to be on the destination server? Maybe this is the issue. I'm configuring the backup from a Backup Exec r3 SP4 on Server1, to backup the Information Store on Server2 which has remote agent installed from server 1, and then the destinaion Server3 has Backup Exec 2012 installed. Could it be a compatibility issue there? It's always worked in the past though.

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

Just to isolate the issue if this is specific to Exchange backup or not, would you pls confirm if backup of non-Exchange resources from this remote server (Server 2) works successfully or not ?

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Hi,

I've set up a new job from the same server to backup a random folder on the Exchange server (downloads folder on C) and to the same BackupToDisk Folder and it's successful. So the issue must lie with my Exchange backup job I'm guessing.

MorkSherwood
Level 3

Currently re-creating the backup again since re-installing the agent. I'll see what happens.

MorkSherwood
Level 3

It works!! :)

So to fix this I had to update to sp4, apply all hotfixes, uninstall and reinstall the remote agent and re-create the backup.

Thanks again for your help :)

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Thanks for the update Mark. Please mark the post which helped you resolve this issue as 'Solution'.

Thank you.

loganjf
Level 3

Just as a matter of interest for all. Service Pack 4 fixed many issues including a Backup Exec job engine hung condition. Not to say that this fixed the issue at hand.

Regards,

Jon.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Hello,

For more information on what’s new in Backup Exec 2012 SP4 please refer to the updated Readme document and the Release Notes that is available here : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5215

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5

Thanks for the update Mark. Please mark the post which helped you resolve this issue as 'Solution'.

Thank you.