cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Virtual Machines Appearing as Physical Machines

ZA_Lad
Not applicable

Hi,

We're running two Windows Server 2008 R2 servers, both running the Hyper-V role and both hosting 2 virtual machines each - all running Windows Server 2008 R2 as well. One of the host machines has Backup Exec 2012 installed and we're covered by 2 Agent for Hyper-V licenses with an extra agent for the other physical host machine i.e. We have a total of 6 servers being backed up by Backup Exec 2012.

When I initially installed Backup Exec on the new host server (and added all the other servers), the Backup and Restore server page displayed the 2 host servers as physical machines, and the 4 virtual machines were displayed as virtual machines (with the neat little blue Windows icon). There have been a couple of issues and changes that have come up whereby I've needed to remove servers, and later add them again. Initially when I removed a virtual machine and re-added it, it was displayed as a physical machine. I came accross a solution on this forum that suggested re-adding the virtual machine with it's FQDN and it would display as a virtual machine. I tried this and it worked. We've had other issues come up and I've removed and re-added 2 other virtual machines using this same method, but they're still being displayed as physical machines. So:

* How can I get virtual machines to display as virtual machines in Backup Exec (2012)?

* What sort of impact does it have when Backup Exec sees it as a physical machine, when it's actually a virtual machine?

This install is completely up to date, so all patches and hot fixes should be installed, yet I'm still having this (annoying) problem.

Please assist, thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello ZA_Lad,

When you install the remote agent on the Virtual machine and add it manually in the Backup & restore tab then it will show as Physical machine.

If you take a backup of the Hyper-V using the Virtualization agent and using the GRT option then the VM will be added automatically to the Backup & Restore tab and it will show as Virtual Machine.

* How can I get virtual machines to display as virtual machines in Backup Exec (2012)?

--> Remove the machine from the Backup & Restore tab. Then take a Hyper-V backup using the Virtualization agent and with GRT option selected. Now it should automatially be added as Virtual machine.

* What sort of impact does it have when Backup Exec sees it as a physical machine, when it's actually a virtual machine?

--> There should not be any impact in the functioning of the backups and restores even if the machine is showing as physical or virtual.

Thanks,

-Sush...