cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and restore in one job

Phil_Reilly1
Level 2
Hi All

I would like to backup the contents of a file server in a nightly job, and then immediately restore the backed-up files to another server. what is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks
Phil

8 REPLIES 8

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You can't schedule a restore for a backup that hasn't taken place yet.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
This is how it would work:

1. Create a backup job, and give it a scheduled time to run.
2. Under Job Setup --> New job to duplicate backup sets --> Duplicate backup sets following a job, & click OK
3. Select your backup job you want to duplicate. From here you can set a number of options, but it doesn't go too in-depth.

In theory, if your backup job is set to run x-number of days, this will run straight after it. I have just tested this on a single job, and it's run. Just don't forget to point it to wherever it is that you're wanting to restore too!

i2professional
Level 2
dear sir;

is there a possibility that we will create two task one for backup and other for restore;and then create a trigger so that restore task will start as soon as backup task is completed.

just asking the qyery as this kind of task triggering is possible in SEP thru scripting.

Sorry ; if i have made any mistake.

Lively
Level 5
Wouldn't this just create another copy of what he had backed up but not in a completely usable form (bkf files)?

If what you are trying to do is get a 2nd copy of your server (near live) in case your current one goes thud, you may need to look at another product.

Lively
Level 5

Well GRT files show up a tad different. 

Any normal backup to Disk job will put the files as bkf files.  The GRT jobs actually put the files in folders and the edb's are actually in there.

So if he is just trying to backup then restore GRT files, it should work.  But if it non GRT files I do not think he can do it. 

It sounds like he is trying to do a way of file replicatioin to have a backup server near up to date.  We use doubletake for that, but I can't tell for sure if that is what he is wanting to do.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I've duplicated my backups to disk for restoring Exchange, and I was able to see the *.edb, so no, I don't think so.
I do, however, know that when you backup to disk via a policy/normal job, that it would create a *.bkf file as an image.

PS: Just remembered...under your restores section it shows as an Image file (so *.bkf), but if you browse to it, it should be all the files. Worked like that with Exchange!

Phil_Reilly1
Level 2
Hi All

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. To elaborate, I would like to mirror the content of one server to another for disaster recovery purposes. I haven't tried any of the suggestions above but i'll give them a try and get back to you.

Thanks again!

i2professional
Level 2
thanks for the information