Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk takes too much space

michaelvp
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all.

I'm trying to backup a machine around 20GB with AD and SEPM and SEP installed. I intend to do a restoration to a new machine with same hardware.

not sure of the procedure though.

Do I need to install windows 2008 R2 join to domain first, reboot to restore directory, do the restoration, use ntdsutil to do athoritative restore, reboot.

is the method above going to work?

also I have a 100 GB backup to disk, still not enough to cover the 20GB size of the machine I'm backing up. it is setup as B2D.

2 REPLIES 2

michaelvp
Level 3
Partner Accredited

does this something have to do with vmware? i'm using vmware

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The restore procedure is

1) Install the OS

2) Install BE if it is the media server

3) Restore the C: drive

4) Restore the system state and reboot. This will restore the server to the state as it was when the backup was taken

This is a non-authoritive restore and it is the recommended way.  You wait for the other DC's in the domain to propagate to this DC the latest updates.  If you do an authoritive restore, then you are forcing AD to the state when the backup was taken of this restored DC.

Your other question is not related to this question and should be posted as another discussion.  You would need to elaborate further on the problem that you are facing.  What are the settings for the B2D folder, job properties. media set, etc.