cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts about how it works

tiagotoledo
Level 4

Doubts about how it works

Environment using CAS and two MBES. CAS-Server and MBES-SITE-A are on the same network and MBES-SITE-B is on a different network.

Both MBES are using DEDUP. MBES-SITE-A is the primary server where all backups are run. The primary servers are duplicates for MBES-SITE-B. There is a closed VPN between SiteA and SiteB.

The backup is done in SiteA, storing in DEDUP and duplicating to SiteB stored in DEDUP. In the first backup all data is sent because it is exactly the first backup.

1) In the next backups, the data that will be sent will be just the new data, correct? Or are all the data sent and when does the SiteB get the deduplication done?
A:

2) The "client side deduplication" is not valid for this scenario, correct?
A:

----

3) When defining disk for backup what is the optimal block size? When formatting the disk the default is 4096 bytes.
A:

4) In BackupExec when using DEDUP we have the "Data stream size", the default value is 512 KB. Can we reduce this number to the same size as the disk? In case not the option of 4096 bytes, but if we format and define 32 KB, we will have better performance?
A:

--
tiago.toledo@h9e.com.br
www.h9e.com.br - www.ventobravo.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I had to check with a deduplication expert and the answers he gave were:

1) In the next backups, the data that will be sent will be just the new data, correct? Or are all the data sent and when does the SiteB get the deduplication done?
A: Yes it is just the new data that is sent

A: The backup part (at Site A( can still use client side - it has nothing to do with the duplication part to Site B

----

3) When defining disk for backup what is the optimal block size? When formatting the disk the default is 4096 bytes.
A: format it with 64K

4) In BackupExec when using DEDUP we have the "Data stream size", the default value is 512 KB. Can we reduce this number to the same size as the disk? In case not the option of 4096 bytes, but if we format and define 32 KB, we will have better performance?
A: No to both parts

If you need more detail (and have a support agreement) you may be able to get more detailed info with a support case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

I had to check with a deduplication expert and the answers he gave were:

A: Yes it is just the new data that is sent

A: The backup part (at Site A( can still use client side - it has nothing to do with the duplication part to Site B

----

A: format it with 64K

A: No to both parts

If you need more detail (and have a support agreement) you may be able to get more detailed info with a support case.

Many thanks for the answers, they helped me a lot.

So to perform backup and have better performance is 64k, very good.

4) What about the Data stream size, is it better to leave the default or change to 64k?

R:

--
tiago.toledo@h9e.com.br

Colin_Weaver

I thought I already answered that...

It was not very clear to me, but okay. Thank you very much for the help.

Fortifying helped their answers a lot.
Thank you.

--
tiago.toledo@h9e.com.br