cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a Tape-based Backup from a complete disk every Week?

_Bugs_
Level 5

Hello,

i created a Backup Job to backup two volumes from a server to Tape. These Volumes should be backuped entirely every week at Saturday, 8 pm and the tapes should be overwritten after five weeks.

But the amount of data in the second week is much smaller than it was in the first week so i think that there will be only changed files backuped.

How do i set the jobs to backup the volumes entirely each Time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

_Bugs_
Level 5

Solution: I had to include the shadow copy components as they contain the deduplication storage.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pels
Level 3

Create a weekly full job with correct overwrite and append protection. 

_Bugs_
Level 5

The job is configured with overwrite after 5 weeks and without append (1 hour).

pels
Level 3

Then you can check when exacly the tape under overwrite protected until, if this is past the date and time you want it to be overwriten you should consider to shorten the protection period.  Also the append period is a bit short if something happens, you want be able to resume if the problem is not fixed within 1 hour.

_Bugs_
Level 5

Sorry, i don`t understand what you mean.

I don`t want to append data to the tapes, i want to overwrite the tape without questions after five weeks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Set your Overwrite Protection Period to 4 weeks, and Append to 0.

If they're FULL backups and they fit onto 1 tape, leave it as such. Shouldn't be a problem if the second week's data is less.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To backup your volumes in full and not just the changed files, change the backup method to full backup for all your jobs and not incremental or differential method.

_Bugs_
Level 5

I can`t set append to 0, it switches automatically to 1. I just can set the unit (hour, day,...).

They should be full backups on each tape, why is that not a problem when the second tape has less data?

_Bugs_
Level 5

The Backup Method is Full Backup, no incremental or differential here.

_Bugs_
Level 5

Solution: I had to include the shadow copy components as they contain the deduplication storage.