cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to share the tape library STK SL500 to two Backup Exec Servers one tape drive for each server?

m_barakat
Level 2

I have two physical Backup Exec servers, the first one is Backup Exec 15 which run backup and restore to/from the tape library very well for many years, and the second server is the newly installed Backup Exec 22.

What I tried to do is to share the tape library with one tape drive to the newly installed Backup Exec 22 through the SAN switch. Therefore, one drive will be visible at the old backup Exec 15 Server as it was for many years, and the second drive will be visible in the newly installed Backup Exec 22 server.

I was successful in making each of the two drives in the tape library (STK SL500) visible to each server. The old Backup Exec 15 server works fine with no issues, but the new server Backup Exec 22 does not.

The tape library is visible in the storage tab in the newly installed Backup Exec 22 and I can import and export media, but it detects the scratch media as a cleaning tape and when initiating inventory or backup job it requests for overwritable media, however, there is scratch tapes in slots but cannot detect!!

Any advice??

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This cannot be done.  Tape drives are not meant to be shared.  When one server writes, the other would not know that.

There are some discussions regarding this topic.  Search for them for a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks for your input.

Can you guide me to any reference?