cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconfiguring Tape Library Partitions

BillS_PDX
Level 2

I recently took over admin duties at a company running Backup Exec 2010 using a Dell TL4000 tape library with two drives and 44 tape slots.  The previous admin is gone but left the TL4000 partitioned with 5 partitions.  The first two each have one slot, the next two have three each and the remaining slots (9 through 44) are in the last partition.  I need to change this configuration but I'm wondering what effect the changes would have on existing jobs that use the current configuration...will they update automatically?  I don't want to make any precipitous changes that could cause problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

After creating partitions you will have to target the jobs to the desired partition.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Siddh
Level 4

Yes if you change the partition of library it will affect the job configuration. When we create partition as you said “The first two each have one slot, the next two have three each and the remaining slots (9 through 44) are in the last partition” it must be designed with keeping some backup method policy, I mean regards to what size of data, size and type of backup.

If you are creating new partitions then you have to assign the slot in backup job in Device and media tab as below

Siddh
Level 4

Check this article it will help you to unsderstand the same

Article: TECH27909

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH27909

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Siddh -

If you feel that you need to add to a previous post, you should edit that post, rather than create a new one

Siddh
Level 4

Hey ken,

Sorry for that but it was not deliberate, i know i can edit that but it happend

Dont take it worng way cool

BillS_PDX
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I understand the concept of partitioning the library and I also understand how I must do it.  The real gist of my question is what will happen to the jobs that already exist with the current partition information.  Will they become non-functional?  Will they update to reflect changes in partitions?  I'm concerned that once I change the partitions I'll need to make rapid changes to existing jobs to use the new configuration.

Bill S.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

After creating partitions you will have to target the jobs to the desired partition.

MrBlue
Level 2

Hi,
I have a Query at a company running Backup Exec version 21.4  using an HP LTO tape library with two drives and 24 tape slots.  The previous IT guy is gone but left the partition with 14 partitions.  The first 1 -11 is a single partition and the rest of each has one slot, I need to change this configuration but I'm wondering what effect the changes would have on existing data that use the current partitions. will they update automatically?  I don't want to make changes with existing 12 to 24 individual partitions if reconfiguring the partitions and changing from 14 to 24 individual could cause problems or data loss. 1-11 don't have drives