cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSSADMIN Error with New HDD Drive attached

Dan-Ottawa-Char
Level 2

I have read the multiple threads about VSS error messages that pop up when you install a new USB HDD for backups and I am experiencing the same challenge.  Even if I am not using the drive for the back up.

I can not seem to allow for the VSS Storageshadow to be maked as unbounded to be able to use this work around it wants a size allocation.

Has antone created a cheat sheet to get around this error, other approaches that might work.

We are in a MS Server 2008 standard, Backup Exec 12.5, the new hard drive is the seagate 4 TB, and yes it appears to be the size of the sector challenge.

Our charity support from Symantec has expired it appears, so they are unable to assist.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a documented issue that is operating system and drive related and not directly a Backup Exec issue.You have to reformat the drive without 4K sector size to leave it connected during a System State Backup and you will need to contact the vendor of the drive for utilities to reformat as 512e

There is another solution, get your operating system to Windows 2012 (or 2012 R2) which unfortunately will mean you must upgrade your Backup Exec version as 12.5 wil not run on 2012

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

This is a documented issue that is operating system and drive related and not directly a Backup Exec issue.You have to reformat the drive without 4K sector size to leave it connected during a System State Backup and you will need to contact the vendor of the drive for utilities to reformat as 512e

There is another solution, get your operating system to Windows 2012 (or 2012 R2) which unfortunately will mean you must upgrade your Backup Exec version as 12.5 wil not run on 2012

Colin_Weaver

Here is the original document from when we identified this issue (in BE 2010)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198875

And another forum thread about it too.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-sbs-2011-asr-writer-keeps-failing

Dan-Ottawa-Char
Level 2

Thanks Colin,

I am in touch with Seagate to get a utility to reformat.  They did not have one in the support downloads, but if you contact by email they will supply one. ??