cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i can´t restore data from a different domain

mlands
Level 2

Hi there,

i would like to backup a server (windows 2016) from a different domain with no trust. I have installed the backup exec agent manually. I can backup files, but we get the message:

backup message:
V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec was unable to connect to virtual machine '\(DC)Default(DC)\vm\************\' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. You must install the Agent for Windows and the virtual machine tools provided by your host software on the virtual machine.

-> Agent and VMware Tool was installed!

restore message:

Unable to attach to \\************\C:.

V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

##############

What is the problem? A connection is possible, i can download data from the server in the different domain.

Many thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Is that Backup Server (Windows Server 2016) is running on a Virtual Machine?

What data are you trying to restore?

Hi J_Huggins,

my Backup Exec 16 Server is a dedicate Windows Server 2012 R2.

The Backup Server (other domain) is a virtual Windows Server2016.

I would like to restore a test-file from a GRT-Backup.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This sounds like a problem talking to the remote agent inside the VM itself - file system GRT backups of a VM do not need to talk to the remote agent inside the VM hence can work successfully.

GRT restores back into the VM itself do need the remote agent to be installed inside the VM and communicating correctly with the BE server. Note we cannot support virtual environments where the virtual network is isolated from the network of the BE server, or where the same hostnames have been used inside different virtual networks (hostnames still have to be unique across all systems involved.)

As such a few tests for you that may help

1) Can you do a traditional agent backups of one file from inside the VM - if you cannnot then you need to fix this backup problem and will probably be able to restore from GRT sets once fixed (you may get a more useful error message by doing this test) - note things like Name resolution, routing into the subnet of the VMs, firewalls blocking NDMP protocol requirements (or aganet publishing) and security logins can all contribute to such problems.

2) Can you redirect the restore of 1 file to a local disk on the Backup Exec server - this will show that GRT backups are at least operational.

Hi 

• V-79-57344-38730 - Backup Exec was unable to authenticate with virtual machine '\(DC)Default(DC)\vm\den-fs1' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. You must edit the credentials for the host computer's backup job and then select the proper credentials for the virtual machine.

Colin_Weaver

OK so if the credentials for the VM itself are different from those used to access the host of the VMs then you have to go into the backup job that protects the VMs and set different credentials for the host than the VMs (using the settings available from the left column of the backup job definition)

However the reason the backup completes and you have GRT selections is that we do not use the remote agent to do file system GRT backups - hence do not actually have to login for the GRT backup to work, however if you still have application GRT enabled in the backup jobs then we will be trying to login to the remote agent even if you do not have any database applications inside the VM (which I suspect is why you have these login errors but still have a GRT backup)

Hi Colin_Weaver,

many thanks for your help. I fixed that issue, but i have a new problem with my other domain servers.

I would like to backup 3 server (Fileserver, ActiveDirectory and Exchange, all windows server 2016) with one job with my backup exec 2016 - windows 2012 R2 server. I receive daily the following message: 

Backup
The Agent for Windows on this backup source does not support Granular Recovery Technology because the backup source is running a later version of Windows than the Backup Exec server. A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from the backup sets.
To ensure that you can restore individual items from the backup sets, rerun the backup. Use a Backup Exec server that runs the same version or a later version of Windows than the backup source is running.
The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items. A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from this backup set

1) I have read the FAQ (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000022079). Is this also true for windows 2016 and not only for active directory, not matter whether it is a active directory, exchange or a fileserver?

2)  If i would like to backup all my servers and with GRT-option, i need a backup exec server, based on windows 2016? With windows 2016, i can backup my older windows 2008, windows 2012, 2012r2, active directory and exchange 2008r2 server? Is that true?

My second daily message is: 

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-dm-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-dm-1-ul-phn-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\defaultppd-serverweb-ppdlic.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-gvlk-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-1-ul-phn-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-mak-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-nonslp-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-coa-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-coa-1-ul-phn-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-slp-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-dm-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-mak-1-ul-store-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-nonslp-1-ul-store-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-gvlk-1-ul-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-dm-1-ul-store-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-coa-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-slp-1-ul-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-tb-eval-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-1-ul-store-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-coa-1-ul-store-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-retail-tb-eval-1-pl-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-mak-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-volume-mak-1-ul-phn-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-nonslp-1-ul-oob-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-oem-nonslp-1-ul-phn-rtm.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\spp\tokens\skus\serverweb\serverweb-ppdlic.xrm-ms is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\syswow64\en-us\licenses\volume\serverweb\license.rtf is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\syswow64\licenses\neutral\volume\serverweb\license.rtf is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\servicing\version\10.0.14393.350\x86_installed is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\servicing\version\10.0.14393.0\amd64_installed is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\servicing\version\10.0.14393.350\amd64_installed is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\servicing\version\10.0.14393.0\x86_installed is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\licenses\neutral\volume\serverweb\license.rtf is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\en-us\licenses\volume\serverweb\license.rtf is not present on the snapshot.

1) I have checked all folder, but they are empty!

2) If i upgrade my windows backup exec 2012 r2 server to 2016, all my problems will be solved? :)

sincerely

Erik

Colin_Weaver

The erro message for GRT applied to AD access as well as Hyper-V setups

Basically if the BE server is a lower OS version that the server being backed up then there are limitations (bear in mInd thhat Exchange GRT has to also read parts Active Directory, so apart from GRT agains a basic file system / drive letter location, more or less any application or Hyper-V virtual machine GRT setup will need an up to date (matching or newer) OS on the BE server

With regards the VSS errors if these are in the System State part of the backup then something (outside of Backup Exec's control) has registered entries to apply to System State that either no longer exist OR that exist but the way the entry was registered has an invalid path (i.e unix style  / instead of windows style \ OR things like using \\ instead of \ can cause problems. Typically such issues are somewhere in the registry and you have to contact the vendors of the software that created the invalid entries to sort out the problem (or if the files do not exist create placeholder files with the same paths, names and extensions as a workaround)