Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import TSM backup from tape into BE2012

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi,

i would like to change my backup product from TSM 6.5 to BackupExec2012 but also like to keep my old backups that were written on IBM TS2900 tape by tsm.

not sure if BE2012 supports import of the tsm foreign media. when i did the inventory it worked fine. but when executing the 'catalog' it didn't work. just endless loading and waiting.

if this is not supported, any other workarounds for this issues? i wouldn't like to lose all my old backups when replacing the backup software.

thanks in advance

Jana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

IBM TSM is not listed on the SCL as supported. In this case it can't be done.

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Keep the TSM tapes and a copy of TSM somewhere and use that to restore if required.

2. Use TSM to duplicate the backups to disk and then BE to pick them up.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

IBM TSM is not listed on the SCL as supported. In this case it can't be done.

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Keep the TSM tapes and a copy of TSM somewhere and use that to restore if required.

2. Use TSM to duplicate the backups to disk and then BE to pick them up.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

Thanks!

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited
hi Craig, thank you for the quick response number 1. is not an option. but i could try number 2. So from disk i could pick up the backups with BE2012, is that sure?! not to waste time by moving everything from tape to disk and then it's still not supported thank you, Jana

CraigV
TSM should restore the files to whatever you specify (I haven't worked with TSM since 2007!). From there, those files can be backed up to tape using BE. It would be as per a normal backup! Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cannot catalog the TSM tapes, it means that they are nor recognised by BE, so you cannot restore from the TSM tapes using BE.  As such, you have the two choices as previously advised.