cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any real SCOM 2007 R2 management pack for EV ?

PaTryptik
Level 4

Hi there,

The only info I've found related to my question is this one from Brian Day, back in 2008: "Any news on the non-converted from MOM 2005 EV Management Pack for SCOM 2007?"

It had been locked since nobody had responded.

Does anyone knows if there are has been any update regarding this ?  The documentation for EV 9.0 looks to be the same as for 8.0 SP4, so it looks to be the same MOM 2005 MP that doesn't have any State or Monitor.

Thx
Pat

16 REPLIES 16

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified

Hi Pat,

EV 2007 / EV8 - "SCOM 2007 Pack" is a pre-converted MOM 2005 pack.

EV 9 comes with a new pack for SCOM 2007 R2 only.

Therefore when you upgrade to EV 9 you have to upgrade your whole SCOM environment at the same time...  As this may not be possible(???) we had a look at the packs - not a great deal of difference, the EV 8 converted pack will work, though it's missing a handful of new rules.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

has anyone tried the new pack yet? i'm curious to know if it's any better. the old one seemed to just create redundant alerts based off of the "monitoring" that was already builtin to EV.

PaTryptik
Level 4

So EV 9.0 has a new management pack for SCOM 2007 R2 ?!?!?!?

We are already using this version of SCOM, but are waiting for version 9.0.1 (SP1) of EV for the compatibility with Outlook 2010.  We will thus upgrade our EV only once SP1 is available.

But could someone provide me the new MP of 9.0 ?  I would try it right away in my lab environment.

thx

AndrewB

not sure if we should be posting the files but it's included with the EV9 bits. have you downloaded them yet?

PaTryptik
Level 4

yes I downloaded it and have extracted the content of the iso, but can't find any scom management pack (.xml or .mp).  Is it possible to find it without installing the software ?  I'm not able to open the cab files.

AndrewB

i cant see how to extract the cab either :\

PaTryptik
Level 4

Then, I'll try to find a machine where to install the new version just to get the mp.  We want to keep the lab exactly as our prod servers and we'll only upgrade EV once SP1 is out there...

Thanks for trying though

PaTryptik
Level 4

I installed EV 9.0 on a machine only to have the \SCOM subfolder available so I could test the "new pack for SCOM 2007 R2 only" as Simon Butler told us on Sept. 20th.  But this folder only contained an EnterpriseVault.xml file that is shown as an "EnterpriseVault (Converted)" management pack once imported in SCOM.  Thus, almost exactly the same as with EV 8.  The content of this MOM 2005 mp is the following:

0 Attributes
0 Monitors
1 Object Discoveries
0 Overrides
213 Rules
0 Service Level Tracking
0 Tasks

So, Simon, how did you figured that EV 9 was provided with a new mp for SCOM 2007 R2 only ?
May I have misunderstood what you meant ?

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified

Compatibility Matrix and conversations with support...

PaTryptik
Level 4

ok, got it. 

Unfortunately, EV 9.0 is still provided with a MOM 2005 backward compatible mp, but it has been modified to be supported on SCOM 2007 R2 only.  This is what the Compatibility Matrix is showing with a "Y" for SCOM 2007 R2 under EV 9.0 and a "N" under EV 8.0.  For SCOM 2007, it is the opposite.

So, back to the start line.  :(

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified

Perhaps needs a little customer push for Symantec to produce a proper pack for SCOM 2007 and SCOM R2 for both V8 and V9.

AndrewB

I could have sworn I posted that in the Ideas section ages ago...

AndrewB

Let's try again. Your votes count!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/improved-scom-2007-r2-management-pack

PaTryptik
Level 4

ok, I'll add my vote.  I had also posted a few wishes on www-secure.symantec.com/connect/fr/forums/what-can-we-do-enterprise-vault-delight-you, such as this one for a real mp for EV.

Thanks

AndrewB

patriptik/simon if you agree please don't forget to click the "agree" button for the idea post i linked to above. symantec gives a lot of weight to ideas that get the most votes.

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified

Done.