Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Email in Outlook after Legal Hold activation

Lenny_
Level 4
Partner

Hi everyone,

I have a big issue with my Enterprise Vault infrastructure.

Last week, i activated the Legal hold on several mailboxes. (Using this answer : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/litigation-hold-procedure)

During the week-end, the database has grown a lot... and every items in users mailboxes got duplicated. (Email, Calendar items, etc...)

In another thread (this one https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/getting-duplicate-emails-when-trying-archive-emails-outlook), it's said that that kind of thing happen when no option are selected in the policy.

180px_Item.png

My purpose was to set legal hold on several mailboxes and "don't touch" the original.(it seems to worked... before i discover the duplicate items)

Can anyone help me before i contact the support ?

Does someone know a way to eliminate the duplicate and get back to normal ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

they'll clear up once the full backup is complete or if you change the vault store setting to not keep safety copies just this once and restart the services but that might interrupt your backup.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB

what verison of EV?

what version of Exchange?

are you using Exchange legal hold or are you doing it with EV?

what do you have your vault stores set to for safety copies?

why arent you creating shortcuts and removing the original item?

Lenny_
Level 4
Partner

Hi AndrewB,

Sorry for the lack of information, i was in "panic mode".

We are using EV 11, with Exchange 2013.

Not using Exchange Legal Hold (it was said in the forum that mixing EV capabilities and Exchange Legal hold could go wrong)

We are not creating shortcut or removing original item because we wanted just to "copy" the email in the archiving database and don't touch the original mailboxes... I set a 0 day policy and don't wanted the user to see all the mails getting archived (in my head : it sound fine)

Don't have the safety copies parameters right now, i will answer this question when i will be at the office

Lenny_
Level 4
Partner

AndrewB,

Here's the configuration of the safety copies of the Legal Hold Vault Store

Vault store.png

AndrewB

you're keeping safety copies in the original location so my guess is that the duplicates will go away after EV recognizes that all of its components have been fully backed up.

you could set it to hold in the storage queue (and make sure you have enough space on the EV server for that) or remove immediately (but make sure you read the docs and understand what that means.)

Lenny_
Level 4
Partner

EDIT : Sorry Andrew, i was typing this post before i see yours, thank for your answer.

Update :

The Symantec support is sadly silent...

We just found that the EV plugin had something wrong and wasn't displaying the EV icon on the email.

Now we know that the duplicated items are EV pending items.

Untitled.png

A new backup is currently ongoing.

I want the original itema to remain on the mailbox and the EV items removed of the mailbox.

To get back to the original situation, before the duplicate item.

What should i do ?

AndrewB

they'll clear up once the full backup is complete or if you change the vault store setting to not keep safety copies just this once and restart the services but that might interrupt your backup.

bikram45
Level 0

There are some tips for Outlook Delete Duplicate Emails ; 

• Run MS Outlook >> select Clean Up on Outlook ribbon window. Expand it.
  • There are three options “Clean Up Conversation”, “Clean Up Folders”, “Clean Up Folders & Subfolders” >> choose “Clean Up Folders & Subfolders”.
  • Click on “Yes” & proceed.
  • You’ll see a dialogue box “Clean Up Folder”. Hit on “Clean Up Folder”.
  • Another option is “Settings”, select the “Settings” option to manually choose the destination of deleted items folder.
  • Now click “Browse” to provide the data file location.
  • On a pop-up Select Folder (displaying all the available folders in MS Outlook). Choose Deleted Items & then press OK