cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 SP5 Operations Manager issues

Itegral
Level 6
Hello Guys,

I have recently installed EV 8 SP5 on Windows 2008 x64 SP2. The archiving process is working with no issues whereas monitoring data did not create when I ran the wizard, it just failed (thats normal). I then tried creating the database manually using MonConfig utility but it simply kept failing with error code: (3) and sometimes with error code: (5). I browsed to the Operations Manager site and it said, monitoring not configured.

I ended up creating the monitoring database manually on the SQL server and then browsed to the Operations Manager site and it said, "an error has occurred" - the full error is attached.

I tried locating the HKLM\KVS\Enterprise Vault registry key, but there is none in Windows 2008 x64 SP2. The AppPool Identity User is already added to the relevant group on the Enterprise Vault server.

Hope you could guide me on how to get this working.

Thank You.
12 REPLIES 12

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Any chance you could DTrace the Monitoring Config Utility when it errors? That will probably be the most helpful And just as a matter of interest did you actually check log.txt?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Itegral
Level 6

Please see attahed the dtracelog.log and the log.tx files!

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

On Win2k8 system the key you would be looking for HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\KVS\EnterpriseVault\Install\EVMonitoringWebApp

JesusWept3
Level 6

I would agree Jimothy, but in this circumstance its the application that is specifically looking for HKLM\Enterprise Vault\ .... it isn't even going to the \Software\ subkey, let alone wow6432

What really needs to be done is to run the MonitoringConfigUtility and Dtrace that to create the database and find out why its erroring, and the same for the Web config as well

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It seems issue with the Monitoring Database ,Perform the following steps

1. Backup all SQL databases.

2. Backup & rename the \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\monitoringwebapp folder.

3. Modify the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\EnterpriseVault\Install\EVOMMonitoringWebApp from "Installed" to "Not Installed".

4. Stop Enterprise Vault Admin Service to stop all EV services (make sure the EV console is not open).

5. Stop IIS.

6. Open SQL 2005 Server Management Studio. Expand Databases, then expand EnterpriseVaultDirectory database. Locate the MonitoringSettings table, right-click and select to open the table. Clear the entry in this table that references the current EVOM database.

7. Locate the EnterpriseVaultMonitoring database, right-click and select Properties. Identify the location of the database and transaction log files.

8. Verify SQL database Backups, then detach and delete the EnterpriseVaultMonitoring database, rename the database files located in step 7.

9. Run the Enterprise Vault setup program, selecting Operations Manager.

10. From Start, All Programs, Enterprise Vault, run Operations Manager Web App Configuration. Verify that the database was created successfully.

11. Run iisreset and restart the EV services.

12. Navigate to http://evservername/monitoringwebapp/default.aspx.

JesusWept3
Level 6

What the?! No! don't reinstall the binary portion, just delete the monitoring database and run MonitoringConfigUtility

Itegral
Level 6

Thanks for all your responses guys - the problem I am having is that Operations Manager config utility is not filling in the entries in the MonitoringSettings table. This table is always empty even I have run the mnual command to create / reuse the monitoring database.

I have spoken with Symantec support and was advised to follow the steps which "RahulG" mentioned above - didnt work unfortunately.

Then Sym Support asked me to remove the IIS virtual directories for monitoring and rerun the above process - again the MonitoringSettings table is empty.

The database is being created with no issues.

What could be the reason?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Ok so the databases were created without error this time through the monitoringconfigutil? Rather than creating it manually? Does the web config program complete or does it error out? What happens when you attempt to access the monitoringwebapp virtual fit? Does it give the same error? Also those steps above, I appreciate what was tried to be done but it's just an aimless excercise completely unnecessary

Itegral
Level 6

The database was not created when I ran EVOM WebApp configuration (thought it finished with no errors). I had to run the "MonitoringConfigUtility /create" command to create it. It created with no issues. The database and logs entry can be seen on the SQL database and on the local disks.

When I browse the monitoringwebapp virtualfit, still the same error i.e. monitoring not configured for this site.

Also, as mentioned above - the monitoring.settings table is not filling up the details for the site and site entry etc. and that’s the reason virtualfit is unable to communicate through.

Itegral
Level 6

Guys -  any one more suggestions?

Itegral
Level 6

I have run dtrace against the following 4 (EVSQL_ABC is the EV SQL server and XYZ_ABC.Domain_name is the Enterprise Vault server);

- MonitorAgent

- MonitoringConfigUtility

- Monitoring MiddleTier

- MonitoringWebAppConfig

The results are attached.

Itegral
Level 6

Symantec asked me to test whether the EV server is resolving the name and alias. I did that using ping -a, nslookup and rpcping -s <servername>, and  rpcping -t ncacn_tcp_ip -s <servername> commands.

Everything seems resolving with no errors but still finding the following in dtrace;

4866 12:52:58.699  [1096] (AdminService) <4512> EV:M CMonitor::Monitor - returning 0x00000000 to caller|
4867 12:52:59.699  [1096] (AdminService) <4580> EV:H VaultCoCreateInstanceEx: An error occurred - RequestedServerName = [NSIEVA01], UsedServerName = [XYZ_ABC], hrCCI = [0x80070005], hrResultsQI = [0x80004005], NumTried = [6], bLocalMachine = [True]
4868 12:52:59.699  [1096] (AdminService) <4580> EV:M CBaseDirectoryServiceWrapper::CreateDirectoryService() failed.|Hr: 0x80070005|Retries: 6|TryLocal: true|Directory Name: NSIEVA01|

Where NSIEVA is the site name and server name is [XYZ_ABC].