Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9 & Outlook 2007 - You cannot restore items that are in search folders

RenaudT_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

A customer show me a strange behavior with shortcut restores. In Outlook 2007 when he does a search in a folder, shortcuts are retourned as expected. Here he can do a "Restore from Vault". It works. BUT if he does a search in a folder and then do a "Try searching again in All Mail Items" and try to do a "Restore from Vault" on a shortcut we have this message : "You cannot restore items that are in search folders." !!

Is it a normal behavior? I mean they do this kind of search really often and in case of restore they are blocked. The user needs to locate the mail and find it in the correct folder...

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Renaud 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

This is a limitation in the combination of EV and Outlook.  It is expected behaviour.  After searching the users will have to go to the appropriate folder to do the restore.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

will do some more testing.

jim_leggett
Level 6

If you click "All Mail Items" in Outlook its not a folder location.

The client trace shows a check to see if the restore location is a search folder.

29/06/2011 15:04:03.103[2904]: CCommands::DoRestore: Created the ActionRestore object 

29/06/2011 15:04:03.283[2904]: DesktopCommon::IsSearchFolder
29/06/2011 15:04:03.284[2904]: ~DesktopCommon::IsSearchFolder
29/06/2011 15:04:03.285[2904]: ~ActionRestore<class ECETraits,struct BackendHTTPTraits>::GetMsgIfFolderUnsuitable: 0x0
29/06/2011 15:04:07.661[2904]: ~ActionRestore<class ECETraits,struct BackendHTTPTraits>::IsFolderSuitable: 0x0
29/06/2011 15:04:07.667[2904]: ~ActionRestore<class ECETraits,struct BackendHTTPTraits>::HandleIndividuallySelectedItems
29/06/2011 15:04:07.674[2904]: ~ActionRestore<class ECETraits,struct BackendHTTPTraits>::OnAction
29/06/2011 15:04:07.678[2904]: ~Action<class ActionRestore<class ECETraits,struct BackendHTTPTraits>,class ECETraits,0>::operator ()

RenaudT_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the answer and the test. But... Is there something we could do to bypass this restore location search? It's really annoying :) This kind of search is not unusual, weird that it's not adressed by a workaroud or a patch.

Many thanks.

Renaud

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

This is a limitation in the combination of EV and Outlook.  It is expected behaviour.  After searching the users will have to go to the appropriate folder to do the restore.

jim_leggett
Level 6

They are able to open the item from the search location just not restore to it. I think to change the behavior or to give the user the option to restore to another folder would likely require an enhancement request.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm pretty sure maxwits is right, because when you do an All Mail type of search it does work as a search folder as opposed to merely filtering whats in the current folder itself, its the way its always been but none the less would be an enhancement request

I don't think it will be accepted though as requests have come in for results from Search Folders before and also from Advanced Find results as well, and all of them have been rejected as a limitation by what EV can and cannot trap on the outlook side

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

In Outlook 2010, with the EV 9.0.2 client (for example) you can :-

* Archive an item in a search folder

* Restore an item from a search folder

I'll give that client a go, with an Outlook 2007 installation in a few minutes.

Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can't do it in Outlook 2007 I'm afraid.

RenaudT_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Ok, thanks guys!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You're welcome.  (Another excuse to upgrade to a fancier version of Office :))