cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to exclude mailbox's subfolder?

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Guys,

As I understood archiving proccess at our KVS server takes to much time because of scanning PST Migration folder in each mailbox. Most of the user had a lot of huge PST files. Now these migrated folders keep only archived (imported) items and do not contain anything to be archived.

Can I somehow exclude this folder from scanning and archiving process and thus save a lot of time and CPU cycles?
14 REPLIES 14

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
If the folder names are similiar you can use an EVPM script to "override" the archiving attributes for a folder. All the commands are in the usage.pdf (or chm).

micah

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
You can use EVPM to change the archiving settings for a subfolder.

If you unlock all the archiving and site settings you can also use the Full Client to make changes to the archiving settings as well. Just uncheck use the Parent Folder settings.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I wouldn't recommend unlocking the settings attrib. This opens the door for instability in your environment. Use EVPM, run it once, and you're all good.

micah

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
I always recommend keeping all the settings unlocked so your admins can make changes with the Full Client.

All you need to do is make sure your users have the lite client and they don't have the ability to make changes to anything.

But I suppose it's just personal preference.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I dunno,
I've seen/heard things about the lite client that doesn't lead me to believe it's as robust /stable as the full client. I think the "Best Practice" would be to lock it down, push out the full client.
When 7.0 comes out, it'll be able to do client/group policy levels (making EVPM sorta less useful thankfully)...and I think it'll pay to push it out like this.

micah

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I'd be surprised if this was having a significant affect on performance. I would look to get dtrace of archiveservice (archivetask) and send that to Support.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Dodo's kinda right here. You should do a medium level dtrace to see what the archivetask is doing. I know that it'll still "walk" the directory structure of the folders under the inbox (including your PST imports), however, that action should be superduper fast (especially if they're already archived).

It may be that you've got another problem and are pinning the tail on the wrong donkey.

micah

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Thanks for lot of answers, I will try to contact Support. One more question - for how long time should I do dtrace to have enough information to send?

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
BTW,

what mailbox archiving policy settings can sighnificantly slow down archiving process?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
of course I'm kinda right :)

10 minutes or so should be fine.

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
Looked through EVPM guide and did not find how to switch on archiving for some folders. The only idea is to prohibit access for these folders to EV system account.

Are there any other ways?

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
You can use an EVPM like this.

directorycomputername = evserver1
sitename = EV Site

DistinguishedName = /O=EVOrg/OU=NEW-YORK-SP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=szeto

Name = Inbox
OverrideArchiveLocks = true
Filtername = DoNotArchive

Askar_Kopbayev
Level 4
thank you very much

and how to put a mask in case I want to do this for 400 users? :)

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
=ALL.